GW News: SKAVEN VICTORY! #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

exactly.
    even without Malakai is so iconic!

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Those pesky details! ;)

The issue is that this group you speak of is pretty small and even if their voices are disproportionately large, it's still relatively minor in the grand scheme of things. Their effect on AoS sales is insignificant. On top of that, many would still complain about AoS in the AoS bubble. Most importantly however, even if your theory were true, and GW's TOW efforts did contain the grumbling in a sphere separate to AoS, the juice simply isn't worth the squeeze. The cost-reward calculation doesn't even come close to justifying it. I can't see them investing so much in order to achieve so little.

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I mean; have you seen how corporations tend to react to negative press on the internet from relativly small, but loud, groups?
    Even when their product is doing just fine, despite the fuss kicked up by said group?
    It wouldn't be first time a multibillion organisations spends a stupid amount of time and effort on a ineffective solution for a fairly pointless task :p

Anyways; I can't really think of another reason for GW to be okay with the incompetent release campaign so far.

4. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Active Member

It is as I said previously: Common sense is no longer a common commodity.

Either that, or the corporate overlords like to quote King Louis in the Musketeers: "Common sense is for commoners".

Canas likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

To each their own, but I just can't see it playing out the way that you suggest.

1. Financially, we don't know how well it is doing for them. For all we know, it might be profitable. We don't have access to that information.
    2. Even if we assume that it is failing financially (which we don't know), what's to say that they are "okay" with it.

6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Terrible campaigns can still be a financial succes.
    In between the whales, scalpers, & diehard fans buying up everything regardless of the quality. And the fact that ToW is probably relativly cheap to produce on account of GW already having the infrastructure in place; even an abysmal release probably does fine financially; at least for a short while.

Given how long they've been mucking about with this; they clearly don't have any interest in changing things.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

From GW's of view, it probably isn't viewed as a terrible campaign if it is sufficiently successful from a financial point of view.

That's possible.

We don't have all of the required information at our disposal. They have limited resources (staff, production equipment, storage facilities), so it is always going to be a balancing act. TOW is not a flagship game like 40k or AoS, and as such, its priorities will only be addressed after the needs of the bigger games have been met.

Also, even if they do want to make a change, it takes a significant amount of time for them to do so. Things are scheduled far in advance, so even if they have an intention to, they can't react as quickly as we might like.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is crazy. $45CAD for a transfer sheet?!!? I remember getting these for free with my Necron models back in the day. And somehow... it's sold out. This is why GW has such crazy prices, because people are willing to pay it. The Warhammer community has nobody to blame but itself.

upload_2024-7-22_0-24-15.png

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

This is nothing new, GW have sold their transfer sheets for crazy prices for a good few years now.

However at least with the TOW ones you do get one in each box of the relevant race free as I recall, just as you do for Necrons and other eligible 40K factions. The selling out of the separate transfer sheet is most likely through players who have existing Dwarf armies and want to add the new transfers without buying a new box of models.

EDIT: In the unit boxes you get a smaller one, so players buying the separate one are after the sheer number of Runes on it: [​IMG]

Even then though there are far cheaper ways of getting them... Troll Trader for instance sell the TOW transfer sheets second-hand extremely affordably: https://thetrolltrader.com/search?q=transfer+sheet&sort_by=relevance&filter.p.m.custom.game_system=Warhammer+Fantasy+/+Old+World

In all likelihood sellers like him will be able to get their hands on the transfer sheets eventually and sell them a lot cheaper.

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Well, time to get your priority straight and maybe learn that gw deserves nothing

11. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I saw that GW is releasing new Warcry sets (for 4th edition?). So, I could easily see a Warcry set that includes some updated Saurus Guard/Heroes, not unlike our Hunters of Huanchi.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That will definitely help create a very cheap secondary market for them. Many people will have them, not want to use them and flood sites like Ebay with them.

That said, I still can't justify GW selling the separate sheets for so much money. It seems very expensive... even by GW standards. We're talking about a pennies item here. The markup is insane.

It doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. Even with the expensive price tag, these things are selling out.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

At least it's not my fault

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

[​IMG]

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Honestly, the most confusing thing about them selling out is that you don't really need that many. Especially when considering that plenty of boxes, usually starter sets or boxes with models where transfers make sense like tanks with plenty of big space to stick a sticker on, contain them for free anyway.

How are people still needing enough extra sheets that these things actually sell out? Are people sticking 10 stickers on every single model they have? Are they buying entire sheets for 1 specific sticker and throwing out the rest?

16. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Active Member

Hmm... Hoarder mentality?

Or the people buying those sheets are doing a lot of conversations/third party alternatives, which obviously don't come with the decals.

I got pretty lucky with my Empire proxy army, I don't need any standard Empire decals, and what decals I've used are from a third party I already had, and for an image that wouldn't have been on a GeeDubs sheet. Of, and I used a couple of Sigmar twin tailed comets from the Cities of Sigmar sheet. So, I got lucky with my needs.

Granted, if they've gone third party proxies, good think they'd have had a third party answer to their decal needs, so maybe I'm wrong.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's perplexing. Maybe GW only produced an extremely limited number of them.

18. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Is there any reason why Age of Sigmar seems so under discussed on the forum, despite its 4th edition release? Most discussions still seem focused on The Old World, even though it was released many months ago. Are Seraphon no good under the new rules?

Just A Skink likes this.
  19. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Most of the chitchat on Seraphon play in AoS 4.0 has been on the Discord server.

Just A Skink and - Q - like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

31531161_1770740229627870_7313564556096176128_n.jpg