GW News: SKAVEN VICTORY! #NewAoS

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

As my gf would say "shes totally more threatening than settra so id better listen to her" :p

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Ah I just noticed Koffing is the English name for the Pokemon that is called Smogon in German, so yeah, that's what I thought as well.

3. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Shows how much I've played Pokemon in the last 5 years

4. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

So I'm really wanting to dive into these new deepkin.heres hoping for a start collecting

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

If they follow the same path of Kharadron, there will be one soon enough, but not immediately.

6. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I guess we'll see. Definitely looking at the eel riders for my trident kin

7. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I've decided to use the turtle chariot as the basis for my trident king, which is a specialty unit in kings of war.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

"dive into these new deepkin"

pun intended? ;)

Back on topic, these are the types of releases that AoS really needs. Porting over the old armies/models from WFB was clumsy. AoS would be better served if it was made up entirely of these new factions (Kharadron Overlords, Daughters of Khaine, Deepkin, etc.). All the legacy stuff (that isn't directly tied to the new factions) should be ported out slowly once the new stuff exists in sufficient quantity to maintain the game. They actually have shot at making an interesting story world/environment.

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Pun most definitely intended

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

That's probably the plan and i cannot really disagree

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'm not so sure they will follow through with it, but if they do they could potentially turn AoS into a decent little game. Even I have to admit that the strides they have made thus far have been significant. AoS is no where near the travesty that it was upon its original release.

These new AoS factions are looking very good but nonsense legacy factions like Aleguzzler Gargants are simply absurd.

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

nah, no need for that, just slowly buy stuff :p

Meh, they don't even need to be properly new. The seraphon transfered fine as they both had a decent reason to exist in AoS and a fullfledged army. The empire troops however were done terribly. Split up over multiple factions, no single faction actually amounting to anything, no background other than "they're there". It's those factions that are pointless...

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Well, If I have understood correctly @NIGHTBRINGER 's point, it was that old armies can be taken to AoS wthout a sense of "displacement" if there's reason to.
    Seraphons' fluff was defined since the End Times, with their escape.
    Old Vampire Counts are perfect with Nagash.
    But too many of the other armies seems just out of place.

14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

true, especially order suffers from it.. humans, dispossed, the various aelves (apart from the daughters of khaine now..) none of them make much sense. Most others were fine-ish though, most of em can count on "cuz magic" to be sufficient explenation or their existence (e.g. undeath, most monstrous factions in chaos & destruction).

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Seraphon aren't nearly as bad as the others. Seraphon have an amazing range and a full-fledged army. The only thing I don't like about them is the incongruity between their lore and model aesthetics. They are space faring Lizardmen, but they look like ancient Aztec Lizardmen. I know this is explained away by them being the memories of Slann, but that is pretty lame. That said, you can still make a home for them in AoS, especially since they are one of the few factions with as many units/options as SCE (at least for now). However, most of the other old stuff needs to go.

Canas likes this.
  16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh, they fare space with magic. Looking like ancient aztecs is fine-ish. It only starts becoming problematic once we see factions appearing that have plasma guns or some such... Right now they only live in fantasy so there's no need for hem to need anything other than the magic of the slann.

And yeah, the other stuff desperatly needs to go or be updated proper..

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

But they don't work as well in the AoSverse as the new armies that have been specifically designed for it. I'm not advocating that they scarp them, but just pointing out that perhaps they need a little tweaking.

18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, I think that has more to do with the fact that by now our fluff is from a time AoS didn't make much sense as a whole yet. Much like how a load of our models feel "weird" due to powercreep some of the fluff has become weird and outdated.. basicly we just need another tome. The premise of space faring aztec dinosaurs I think is fine though.

19. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

As far as the new underdasea elves go, if you wanted a good cross-company collection of deep sea miniatures Cool Mini or Not has a really neat looking line called the House of Hadross

wrathofkings09_orig.jpg

wrathofkings01_orig.jpg

wrathofkings011_orig.jpg

20. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

I bought all of those when they been on sale. They make a great bases for a Trident realms of neritica army for kings of war.

I think the new elves will give me some new additions and maybe some allies from the elf list