1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GW News: Battleshock GONE! and more! AoS 4

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Cristhian MLR, Jan 23, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree, the Mantic one is nice, but the GW one is significantly better. So the question becomes, is it 5 times better, because it costs 5 times as much.

$195 is pretty insane. Two Mega Gargant models nets you a PS5 digital edition.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I'd probably say neither is really worth it. GW is simply too expensive for what is ultimatly merely some plastic & Mantic is simply not good enough no matter how cheap :p but that's a matter of personal preference when it comes down to it :p

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm not really a huge fan of Mantic either, but a few of their most recent stuff has been pretty good. GW in my opinion though, still makes the very best models.

4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O I'm sure they have other stuff that's good, it's just this one giant I don't really like :p

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Definitely looks like an attempt to bring Imperial Knights into AOS... not interested :meh:. Or can be viewed as primaris gargants?

Not really a huge fan of the models, that plus the expense.

6. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

I really like the Warstomper bits.Not a fan of the other two.

They might be the Knights as the "giant army", but this guys will not be suitable for magnets in the way the Imperial Walkers do.

Speaking of suitability for magnets:

[​IMG]

One of the most beautiful kits ever done by GW.

But I don't like watching those energy rays: it feels like it will break with the slightest breeze.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Mwha, you got 3 or 4 main support rays by the looks of it. Probably sturdier than you'd expect as they balance eachother out to some extend.

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

It will probably be less fragile than what it seems.
    But still to be handled with a lot of care. Especially given its cost.

ChapterAquila92 and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yeah, I suspect dropping it will break it quickly. Sudden force applied to only 1 support will wreck it. But it's not going to break from just falling over or bumping into stuff.

10. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

There are actually a few battle reports out on Youtube now for the Sons of Behemat. However, the ones I saw were both 1k games where the SoB completely tabled their opponents.

I think this is going to be a good representation of how they'll perform. We already know that big monsters perform much better at lower point games where the enemy doesn't have as much to focus them with. These guys are going to be nigh-unstoppable in 1k games, especially casual ones. But I have a feeling that in 2k games once people get used to the idea of multiple 35-wound models running around, they'll be a bit easier to play around.

Just A Skink and Canas like this.
  11. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

Gloomspite Gits will have a field day against them in the larger games. Not necessarily because of any of the trolls, squigs, or other monsters in their roster, but rather because of the exact thing that those gargants are supposed to be good at dealing with - massed infantry. A skilled GsG player is likely going to make sure that the front line of their night goblin spearmen units have at least one netter every 2 inches or so by default, ensuring that whoever attacks them from the front is at a constant -1 penalty to hit them, and if properly supported (as they should be) those lowly spearmen have both a lot of staying power as an anvil unit and can hit back harder than you'd expect out of stunty greenskins. Moon-Face Mommet is also nothing to sneeze at either.

Similarly, I'd expect Beasts of Chaos, especially Khornate Beastmen, to make mincemeat out of the gargants with massed infantry charges from across the board, especially if supported by the use of a Wildfire Taurus (D6 mortal wounds to units within range of path + units affected activate last in combat that turn).

Mind you, I'm largely drawing this up from experience within my local gaming group, where the recurring theme tends to be making casual "take all-comers" lists feel incredibly competitive.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
    Just A Skink, Canas and Erta Wanderer like this.
  12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Ah GSG, my old foe. Those Greenie bastards.

13. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  14. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Those are definitely some impressive conversions :)

Imrahil likes this.
  15. ChapterAquila92
    Skar-Veteran

ChapterAquila92 Well-Known Member

These, sadly, are all conversions. Still, given enough reworking, I'd imagine someone might do a seraphon-themed mega-gargant as the spiritual embodiment of Nakai.

16. lazycaptain35
    Saurus

lazycaptain35 Member

pls somebody do, GW needs to bring back seraphon characters, especially giving us more playstyles

17. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

Yes, obviously for anyone who has already seen the very basic info of this...

Warcy is getting lots of stuff.

Skaven is, as we should expect, trash, but everyone else is getting starter kits, which mean discounted models. For me is Ironjawz = FEC > KO.

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Did they already explain what those starter sets contain? Cuz if it's just a bunch of random stuff it might not necesarly be all that usefull for AoS.

19. Cristhian MLR
    Terradon

You get what you see in the cover of the box. 5 Brutes + 5 'Ardboys are always good, same for Courtiers + 10 Ghouls, and the Kharadron ones are better by virtue of useful miniatures and being quite more expensive than any other faction. Skaven have those hiddeous Ogre Rats. Wonder why they never worried with making the ones from Blood Isle available: the current kit is atrocious in all the worst possible ways.

Imrahil, Canas and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  20. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Yes it is!

Grrr, Imrahil