8th Ed. Handy hint vs cannon / war machines

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by godswearhats, Dec 28, 2013.

1. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

This came up in a game last night.

Cannon and other War Machines can pivot which doesn't count as moving. They do this so that they can take aim at better other targets, and it doesn't count as moving so they can still fire even if they pivot.

HOWEVER, this pivot *must* be done in the movement phase. Many players do the pivot in the shooting phase, but page 112 of the BRB (under firing a cannon) clearly states this must be done in the movement phase. I bring it up here because we have an army that is particularly susceptible to cannon fire, and allowing your opponent to pivot to get a better line of fire *after* the movement and magic phases is not only giving them an unfair advantage, it's just plain old breaking the rules :)

Anyway, I knew I had read it somewhere and was glad to find it again so I thought I'd share it with everyone so you can make sure that your opponent pivots in the correct phase.

Hope this helps!
    ~gwh

2. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

Check the FAQ. Pretty sure this got changed.

3. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

I didn't see anything in the FAQ to change this.
    The sporting thing to do is remind your opponent in his movement phase. This should prevent him from getting all butt hurt about it, and you'll still have the advantage of your opponent having to commit to his shots prior to his magic, or his other shooting.
    If he points 3 cannons at one steggadon, and drops it with the first shot, the 2nd two are wasted.

-Matt

4. Sleboda
    Troglodon

Sleboda Active Member

From the BRB FAQ

5. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

Thanks! I found the FAQ about two hours after I posted this, but just hadn't been at my computer to post a redaction (and still no Tapatalk support for this forum :-()