8th Ed. Heavenly comet

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by The Omen, Apr 26, 2011.

1. The  Omen
    Saurus

The Omen New Member

ok so here is an interesting one - what kind of spell is the comet?

Had this question come up during a game recently when the Skink priest was in combat and we were trying to work out if he could cast the spell or not.

Every other spell in the game tells you what the spell is but the comet doesn't.

In the end we decided the it is nearest to a direct damage spell so couldn't be cast, but I was wondering what everyone else plays or if this has been FAQ'd

2. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Since it doesn't have a type(MM,DD,hex, augment etc) treat it as standard magic.

Meaning you need front arc, no line of sight, within range(comets infinite i believe), and cant target units in combat(its not targeting a unit so).

These are in addition to any other requirements within the spells wording(which i don't think theres any particular ones in comet).

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The spell does not need front arc. It states "This spell is cast upon any fixed point on the tabletop." My thought is that the priest can cast this spell while the unit is combat.

4. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

I was pretty much stating just the generic requirements for a spell, really tho, since the spell doesn't specifically say you don't need front arc, it can be argued either way.

5. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Actually, the spell is very specific about its casting requirements. You can place the marker on any fixed point on the tabletop. LOS, front arc, ect are irrelevant.

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

There's a bit in the magic section about how targeting restrictions can be waived by specific spells. I think in this case the comet spell, which has no "type" persay would by default require frontal arc. But since the spell description waives this restriction by saying "any point on the table", then that's what you go with. In either case, being in combat shouldn't matter.

7. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

So ya, any spell without a type is incumbent on the 4 basic requirements listed in the book(BRB 31 choosing a target), but also any internal requirements, like comets being anywhere on the table, or certain DE magic being able to be cast into combat(I don't have their AB on me atm so I cant quote)

8. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The comet is weirdness personified. The target is actually a comet/meteorite in space which has its orbit affected in such a way to cause it to crash into the battlefield at the designated spot.

9. Questioner
    Saurus

Questioner New Member

Which is why it is not a RiP spell, right? It would be harder to put it back than to draw it down- I think...

10. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

skink priest "you know what, on second thought, lets just put it back"

11. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

it is not a remains in play spell. theres also an argument that you can cast comet in successive turns. i find it pretty iffy but i havent seen anything that says you cant do it yet

12. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

I don't believe there is any argument on it.