1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from Texas!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SirTrottsalot, Apr 17, 2019.

1. SirTrottsalot
    Jungle Swarm

SirTrottsalot New Member

Hello everyone! I am fairly new to the hobby but I have been lurking for years. I have a question at the end.

I have always loved most of the models from the Lizardmen/Seraphon faction, but the hobby was just too expensive for me to jump into without knowing if I would like it. So when Kill Team came out, I convinced some family and friends to go in with me and we loved it. Since then we moved into Age of Sigmar, and I had to make a choice between a vampire army and a dinosaur army. First I chose vampires and undead, and now have a pretty good army, but I can't help but want to have a side project with Seraphon.

The main reason I didn't got with my first love of the lizards was because there were a couple models that I think are just ugly as sin and I can't get past them. Honestly the main one is how the cold ones look. I really like the cold ones that the Drakespawn riders have from the order serpentis, and I actually bought a kit of them to kit bash to make some Blood Knights for my vampires. My dream would be to have an army of lizards but also have a lot of dinosaurs. Like if the cold ones were updated, my bank account would cry.

I am wanting to start collecting some Seraphon now just because I want to build and paint them, so I have some Skinks, but I am hesitant to buy more because I wonder if they have an update in the works and I would be pretty upset with myself if I bought something that in a couple months gets updated and looks way better. I like the look of skinks, and I really like the ripperdactyls and the terradons. Also the carnosaur and the troglodon. I am hesitant to buy the Seraphon Battletome because I don't know if there will be an update soon, and my dream would be that they get the Flesh Eater Courts treatment and I can take the equivalent of Gristlegore and bring just a bunch of big dinosaurs with no riders on them as battle line.

So my question is, what do you guys think? Should I hold off on buying anything? Or are there some units that are pretty safe from being updated? I want an army that looks good, but I something I can also win with sometimes against my friends. (My Legion of Blood/Soulblight normally wipes the floor with their Slaves to Darkness and Skaven... well, blood lol)

2. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome aboard!

Gr, Imrahil

SirTrottsalot likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome!

Hard to tell... right now I think waiting wouldn't be too bad.
    On the other hand: getting some Skinks and a big dinosaur or two will probably be future proof.

4. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

I’d say the plastic models are probably pretty safe - the resin ones might be risky, but at the same time some of them are quite cool, so if you really like them it might be worth picking them up before they disappear!

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I have both. Granted my Vampire army is quite small.

Most of my ugly Cold Ones were converted into zombified Cold Ones (which I field as Dire Wolves) in my vampire army. The few players in my area are not strict on WIZIWIG, so I field zombie Cold Ones the rare times I want to field actual Cold Ones. Eventually I have a plan to buy some Dark Elf Cold One Riders because they are better Cold Ones. I have a Saurus riders waiting for that happy day. But in general, I do not care for them in playability, so kitbashing Saurus onto Dark Elf Cold One riders is not a huge priority.

I am not super up to date on Age of Sigmar, but in general the battle tomes change slowly and the points just get updated every year or two, so you are probably safe buying the tome. The tome is mostly fluff though, the only real rules in there you cannot get else where for cheaper or free are the starhost rules.

Anywho, welcome aboard and let us know if you have any other questions!

SirTrottsalot and Imrahil like this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hello and welcome!!!