1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Help With Realms

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by xoid, Nov 4, 2020.

1. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

I'm a bit confused about how Realms work. I also understand that the realm rules often have local variants on how they are used, so for this discussion I'm just trying to understand them as presented in the core rules and the General's handbook.

As I understand there are two places where a realm can be chosen, your army can be from a specific realm, and then the battle is fought in one of them. So here are my questions.

1) The realm where the battle is fought is currently determined by a dice off before the game, correct?

2) There are 4 things that are determined by realm, an extra spell all wizards know, an available magic item, a terrain feature, and a command ability. Which of these is determined by where the fight occurs and which by where your army is from?

Thanks!

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Choosing a realm for an army to be native to only allows you to take the Realm's artefact as an option.

Playing in a realm battle grants wizards access to the spell list. Heroes/Generals access to the realm command ability. And all terrain gains the realm scape feature. The realm of battle is determined by a dice roll. Most events have been pre-selecting realms of battle however.

The rules are detailed in both Malign Sorcery and GHB2020.

xoid likes this.
  3. xoid
    Terradon

xoid Well-Known Member

Ok, that's kind of how I thought it worked, but I had gotten myself confused.

Thanks!