8th Ed. How to plac Krox in a Skrox unit

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by rychek, Mar 13, 2013.

1. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I've got a game tomorrow and I find that I have to run my Skrox in horde formation due to movement tray restrictions (I don't have one deep enough that isn't 10 wide). I have 24 skinks and 3 krox. I know the krox go in the second rank, but do they have to be adjacent to each other? Can I place them with a row of skinks in between each one so it looks like the diagram below?

SSSSSSSSSS
    SKKSKKSKKS
    SKKSKKSKKS
    SSSSSSSSSS

Or does it have to be as follows?

SSSSSSSSSS
    SSKKKKKKSS
    SSKKKKKKSS
    SSSSSSSSSS

2. lbisson
    Cold One

lbisson New Member

If you don't want to run them in horde formation why don't you just improvise a movement tray from a piece of cardboard or something? Just a thought.

3. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

The models and trays are magnetized. I'm not opposed to running them in horde, I just wasn't planning on it initially.

4. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The only requirement is that the krox are in the 2nd rank so either formation is acceptable. With 24 skinks and 3 krox however, a horde formation will only provide 2 full ranks and will increase the number of skinks fighting. On the plus side, it will provide more shooting. I generally run 24 +3 units six wide. This yields 6 ranks of 6 (the krox count as 2 ranks of 6 each) to help maintain steadfast, reduces the number of skinks fighting (and surrendering combat res) and also makes the unit much easier to manoeuvre, hopefully into a flank position.

5. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Good to know on the krox placement. I would rather run them 6 wide, but I don't have time to make a magetized tray before the match. Well, technically I could, but I'm in the middle of the painting some saurus and don't want to cleanup the paint in order to make room for the movement tray kit. I'm feeling lazy today.

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Can you turn the movement tray sideways?

7. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Unfortunately no. It is 10x4. I just found out my match is postponed so I might be able to throw one together now.

8. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Skrox is now 6x7.

9. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

The skrox worked out well against dwarves today. I'm glad I made that movement tray as I would not have been able to do what I did with a horde wide unit. Thanks for being persistent!

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I was going to suggest a temporary ghetto movement tray out of a cut up cereal box. That'll get you by.

11. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

I have several small trays like that made from old sprue and cardboard. However, I've become addicted to magnetized trays and have a hard time using a non-magnetized tray. ;)

12. newscales
    Kroxigor

newscales New Member

I used foam board. quick cuts and I've got a board that is rigid enough to hold a bunch of models.