1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS How would you feel if you had to re-base your Lizardmen army for 9th edition?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by NIGHTBRINGER, May 18, 2015.

?

How would you feel if you had to re-base your Lizardmen army for 9th edition?

1. Excited!... round bases look better than squares!

9 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Indifferent... don't care either way

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Frustrated... it will be a huge chore, but I'll what it takes to be compliant in 9th

12 vote(s)
    12.6%
  4. "Oh no they didn't"... I refuse to rebase! (make due with squares... or forget 9th)

67 vote(s)
    70.5%
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

So with all the rumour talk of the ever increasing possibility of round bases becoming the norm in 9th edition, I thought it would be an opportune time to see how my fellow Lustrians feel about the subject.

As my pal @Slanputin likes to (correctly) point out, I like polls :). So keeping with tradition, I've create a poll to gauge the overall feeling surrounding the possibility of re-basing to rounds for 9th edition.

So for this poll let's assume (because at this point we only have incomplete rumours) that...
    1. Lizardmen are still around in 9th edition :happy:
    2. 9th edition has transitioned from square bases to round bases and models need to be re-based

Vote and discuss! :cool:

2. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Like I said earlier, I'm not going to rebase. Lizardmen was the first army with which I actually had decorated bases. Plus, I don't even know how I would be able to yank the Saurus Warriors off of their bases, as they have that thingie between their legs that goes into that slot. And take your mind out of the gutter, Lizardmen don't spawn that way...

Andhe likes this.
  3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Haha, this thread is off to a glorious start :D

4. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

Well, I'm indifferent, but only because I've already given up on warhammer in favour of Kings of War, so 9th no longer really affects me. Otherwise this would be yet another reason to quit, but still a relatively minor one next to everything else wrong with the game. The gameplay implications of round bases, on the other hand, would likely include a few more serious ones, even just the thought of how much moving models individually rather than as a unit would slow down an already slow game....

miturian likes this.
  5. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Oh, hey pal!

I'm not re-basing, mainly because I cba with the hassle. I don't get much time atm to pursue the hobby and I'm not going to waste my time on bases. Fortunately my gaming circle is very small so it shouldn't be an issue. We can adapt.

6. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

Not really decided on the matter yet. I don't think that I'll go on and rebase everything but we'll see about it when the time comes.

What if the rumour is true that there will be two separate systems side by side: the larger battle with "old rules" and the smaller skirmish game. If this is the case I might keep everything as is and add more minis to my collection with brand new round bases.

BR
    Agrem

7. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Well, rebasing my lizardmen would be relatively easy as it is largely unpainted, and most painted stuff is still on bare bases.

However, i still voted for the last option, although that is also based on my orc army. But i hate basing with a passion, and i would find such a move (if true) such an insult (and a big f-u) to old players that i will simply give up on gw.

If like agrem says there will be two systems, i would find it rediculously stupid that they would not make the mini's compatible with each other. Perhaps they think people will buy double mini's on seperate bases, but in practice i expect those systems to hamper each other and that it will mean the death of one system in the long run.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

They are not going to force us to re-base all our dolls. It's complete and utter madness.

9. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

For me I wouldn't mind having round bases as long as the rules for ranking up were still there, maybe optional and provided a bonus if you did sort of thing. That said I'm in the hell no I won't re-base due to the simple impossibility of my situation, I would have to re-base over 6,000 models which just is not going to happen ... just no lol

10. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I am both indifferent and not willing to change.

It will depend a lot on the actual dimensions they choose.

I have so little of my collected army completed it would not be a big deal for me.

But even if I did have a ton of models on squares I know of a dead simple / near effortless way to convert to ovals and rounds. So it is not a big deal, would not be a big deal, therefore, [[ YAWN ]].

Somebody do an estimate of the dimensions of the oval the bastilodon appears on in the linked pictures. Maybe the same oval as the LOTR Mumak/OIliphaunt..? With some dimensions in hand I could cobble together a quick demo by using that new [to me] plastic Stegadon I just got from eBay.

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

I also have a solution for that...

...but writing a game with a working title of Lizardhammer may be an even better option.

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

How does ranking up work in 40K? Or is there such a thing?

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

:nailbiting: NO SUCH THING...

Slanputin likes this.
  14. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

All you need is movement trays that take round bases and put them in btb contact with those to the 4 sides that can touch, with round bases the only btb you lose for normal infantry are the corners. But I would be fine with rules that allow for a new type of skirmish play but that give specific bonuses to "ranked" units, say the muscician upgrade allows you to rank up for an extra rank of attacks plus CR bonus, or a +1 to your AS for buddy defense etc.

40K doesn't rank up at all, but they also don't have massed troops to the extent fantasy does. But just because there are round bases does not mean we have to play with 40K rules, I think there are some very clever people out there that can find ways to play with both in a fun and unique merging. I always did enjoy when single characters had 360 degree vision, especially the on foot ones, there is a way to make it really good and I'm excited to see what turns up.

I may get frustrated with GW quite often but let's face it we are playing a game we love which they created and are late into 8 iterations of that I personally have played through half of. We are passionate because it is a lot of fun and we don't want to lose it, but at the end of the day we haven't lost it yet and it's been a decade and a half strong for me. I just really hope that it doesn't force me out due to an inability to adapt, that would probably be the only way I don't move forward with 9th, not for an unwillingness to change.

But as my wife says, I am an eternal optomist, as I see it I love playing 8th and the worst possible outcome is that I still love playing 8th, best is that I love playing 8th and 9th is even better :D

15. Carados
    Skink

Carados New Member

I already have Dragons and Gators for warmachine, there is no reason whatsoever for me to try out this new round base silly thing.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That sentiment there describes precisely how I feel. I'm continuing to base my Lizardmen on squares!!

17. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

When I want to play a skirmish game, I'm going to go play Malifaux. When I'm playing warhammer, I want ranks of infantry stomping toward another army. I really don't have any desire to try to pull the bases off of all of my models. I think I would damage far too many of them for that to be acceptable.

Trociu likes this.
  18. Tecuani
    Saurus

Tecuani Member

Pretty much sums up my opinions on that possibility, except that I can easily add a further 4-5 skirmish games to the list of games I'd prefer to 'Warhammer Skirmish'. Specifically, pretty much anything designed as a skirmish game, rather than designed as a larger scale game, and then scaled down to skirmish level. The fact of the matter is, skirmish games and larger scale games require quite different kinds of rules, so even a well written large scale rule set is unlikely to work well as a skirmish game, and for a rules set like warhammer which doesn't even work at it's intended scale, let's just say I'm not willing to spend gaming time confirming my suspicions about it.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Lustria Online unites! This has to be one of the most one-sided polls I've seen on here. I guess it's hip to be square! :smuggrin:

Scalenex, Qupakoco and borkbork like this.
  20. StegadonSheperd
    Skink

StegadonSheperd Member

50 skinks?
    16 saurus
    and the monsters...
    and don't let me even start on my other armies....