1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS I Have to Kill a Skarbrand

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Torxhol Drakescale, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

Torxhol Drakescale Active Member

What is the best way to deal with skarbrand while minimizing my own casualties? I was considering two (or even 3) bastiladons to lock him down, and maybe some camo skinks to deal the extra damage to daemons. this is a 2k battle, if that matters

Crowsfoot and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Skarbrand will chew through the Basties. Total Carnage will one shot the Bastiliadon if you are trying to engage him in combat. Carnage Ignores all saves of any kind including our Impervious Defense. So, if he ever scores a hit with Carnage then the basty is slain.

However, Skarbrand is pretty easy to speedbump. Keep feeding him Chafe.

Alternatively, shoot him. He is a 4+ save with 14 wound. Two lazer basties should kill him outright. If not then put Summon Starlight on him from a Skink Starpriest and drastically reduce his damage.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

Torxhol Drakescale Active Member

Hadn't considered the starpriest. Should I charge a carnosaur at him? what with the anti-monster business? Oldblood/ carnosaur is my general, with an eternal starhost for battleline (hitting a tournament with an odd lack of mortals, and skarbrand is probably the most challenging thing I'll be fighting.)

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

If you put Sword of Judgement on a Carno's Jaws and land both your fore limbs than every 4+ will deal d6 MW from your jaws. So yeah. That would work.

5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Two bastiladons should be able to shoot him down with relative ease. Especially when backed up by chameleons.

Just make sure you have some speed bumps in the way in case you end up fumbling your laser shots and it takes longer than expected.

I'd avoid the carnosaur, you're more liable to be unlucky and be charged first, or screw up your attack rolls and accidently die yourself. Ranged firepower is safer.

6. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

You can't put sword of judgement on the Jaws though unfortunately

7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Jaws are a melee weapon. This one doesn't say it can't be used on a mount.

It is counter to the fluff description, but that isn't actually part of the rule.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

10 to 1 you'l lose the argument though. Virtually any weapon has the "can't be on a mount" sub-clause and it's not different in any significant way. Given those sub-clauses most people will probably agree it'l go against the spirit of the rule (as well as the fluff). So I doubt you'l get far with it.

9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The debate doesn't matter. It isn't stated. In fact it being stated in other instances, but not this instance means it is more in the favor it of being allowable. So unless errata makes changes it is legal.

From my experience a judge would rule it allowable. Maybe not a LGS judge, but certainly at any major event.

10. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Maybe one of the Carnosaur’s teeth were replaced by it? :p Which book is it from, because as you’ve said, if it’s recent with lots of other weapons having that caveat, it seems like it’s deliberate?

11. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Malign Sorcery Realm of Ulgu. It is very recent. Start of 2.0

12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh if that's the case I'd be severly dissapointed in that Judge/the general approach people have at major events. Then again, this approach of "well technicly it's legal, so let's abuse it while we can." is why I generally don't like the competitive scene of things, so not sure why it'd surprise me that AoS would be any different, competitive scenes do tend to attract the same sort of people regardless of what game it is after all.

13. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I can respect that opinion. However, rules are rules. We don't have a game without them. In a causal game it is totally up to the people playing. At an event you are safe to assume you can use it on a Carno's jaws though.

Canas likes this.
  14. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Sure, if this is the general way these kind of flaws in the rules are treated then go ahead, just not my thing :p

LizardWizard likes this.
  15. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I don't think you can say this is a flaw in the rules. Unless/until it is addressed in an FAQ at somepoint. The Sword of judgement is seen in a bunch of armies at every big event. It still has not had an errata. So it is likely that GW is aware of how it works and not unhappy with it.

16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Flaw in this case refers more to the fact that I personally find it flawed as it doesn't follow the internal consistency of the other rules. It wouldn't be the first game where I'd think a mistake was made even if the designers are ultimatly happy with it, or even did it on purpose :p

Minor sidenote, I wouldn't be surprised if putting it on a carnosaur's jaws would be a fringe case that hasn't seen enough use yet to show up on GW's radar. The mount's weapons usually don't benefit as much from the sword as the rider's weapon does. The only reason it's worthwhile to consider on the carnosaur's jaws is due to the potential +2 to hit. But it's only barely more powerfull than just putting it on his sunspear and it requires your claws to hit and it gets worse as the carnosaur gets wounded.

17. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yep, the Carno bite SoJ isnt broken, but it does still have synergy and power. EotG's/Steggadon's feet is a good place to put it too:D I don't think it is over powered to put it on a carno anymore than it is to put on the Eidolon's Shoal, which happens with half the Deepkin armies.

Ecozh and Canas like this.
  18. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Page 242 core book. Artefacts of power have no effect on attacks made by a hero's mount unless otherwise stated.

PabloTho, Nart, Canas and 1 other person like this.
  19. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I’ve just done some calculations and while the odds are infinitesimally small, it’s possible for a Saurus Sunblood in a maxed out Fangs of Sotek Battalion cheered on by Kroak, an Engine of the Gods and the two Carnosaur heroes (Oldblood and Scar Veteran), one of which has Mighty war leader, all of whom roll perfect sixes, to do 756 wounds with one weapon! (Start with 5 command points from Stratgic Mastery and Ku-Quar, get one extra from command trait, get three extra from Kroak’s command, pay off Kroak’s command and two Saurus commands and use the rest to stack Scar-Vet, slow time with Engine of the Gods for double attacks (10), add two from Oldblood (12) times seven by Scar Vet (84) times three by Sunblood’s ability (252) and times three again (756).

So if you are insanely lucky, you could kill Skarbrand 54 times!

20. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

There we go. Thanks for finding that! It has been too long since I actually read the corebook for 2.0,

Dan32234234234324 likes this.