7th Ed. impact hits and challenges

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by lupercal, May 1, 2009.

1. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

if a steggie (or anything that does impact hits for that matter) charges a unit and gets challenged do the impact hits go to the unit or the challenge

2. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

All of them go into the challenge. Reason # 12 unit champions are useful.

3. lupercal
    Kroxigor

lupercal New Member

and on that note does all the skinks attack in a challenge or just the chief since it is all one model

4. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Nope, only the character and his mount fight, the crew stand around being useless.

5. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Actually, in the BRB on page 77 in the 4th paragraph on the right side, it states, "If a character is riding on a chariot, the creatures pulling the chariot will fight in the challenge, but the other members of the chariot's crew (if any) cannot attack at all until the challenge is over. Any impact hits from the chariot are worked out against the unit rather than the character fighting in the challenge. " And then there's a little bit more about impact hits against lone characters.

And you're right about the Skink crew not fighting in the challenge, as stated in the Lizardmen book under the part about the Skink Crew.

6. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think there is a case for both. In the case of a chariot, the character actually gets off it to fight the challenge, which is why impact hits go on the unit and any other crew also fight the unit not in the challenge. A ridden monstrous mount though, that stays in the challenge. And the stegadon is definitely NOT a chariot even though it has impact hits, it is a monstrous mount, so I thik it is more likely the impact hits stay with the challenge.. Unless the LM book says otherwise, I know it mentions skink crew not fighting in the challenge.

7. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

no i think you are pulling it way to far strewart.

also in combat you have fases to:

choose which combat to fight.
    resolve impact hits.
    declare challenges
    work out who strikes first
    resolve attacks
    work out deaths
    resolve other attacks
    work out deaths (and so on)
    count combat resolution...etc

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yes, you are right actually. On page 63 under impact hits it says impact hits happen before challenges are declared. So impact hits would go against the unit. However, I am fairly sure that the rest of the stegadon's attacks would go into the challenge since he is a monstrous mount not a chariot.

9. blackhawk
    Chameleon Skink

blackhawk Member

yeah i know that the mount goes in to challenge to ;)
    i only mentioned this becouse of the impact hits.
    it says in the BRB that the rider and mount go into the challenge.
    in th elizzie book it says that only th echaracter and the mount fight and the skinks must direct their attacks to the normal unit.

10. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Also keep in mind, Strewart, that only Tomb Kings actually get off their Chariots. No where in the BRB is this otherwise stated to happen, and is unlikely, especially when considering the mounts of any chariot, whether that be horses or Stegadons, also get to fight in the challenge. This is also why a Strength 7 character can blow up a Chariot in a challenge, unless of course you're fighting Tomb Kings, whom dismount their chariots for challenges.