8th Ed. Impact hits into a challenge

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by newlmplayer, Sep 18, 2013.

1. newlmplayer
    Skink

newlmplayer New Member

Lets say that an Old Blood and Demon Prince are in a challenge, neither are part of a unit it is only the Old Blood and Demon Prince. If you then charge the DP with a stegadon, would the impact hits go through, or would they be wasted because they are in a challenge?

2. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Impact hits hit the daemon. If he survives, the steggadon cannot attack him.
    Stomp and Thunderstomp were FAQ'd to only hit the challenger, but no such rule change exists for impacts.

3. Wizgamer
    Cold One

Wizgamer New Member

But if there is no unit nearby and it is just the Daemon and the Oldblood, surely it's not a challenge but a straight forward combat....

4. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

If two opposing heroes are fighting, either can issue a challenge, and with nowhere to hide, the other must accept.

It's important to keep in mind, because some rules only trigger in a challenge.
    It also prevents a beat down when another unit jumps you 2 rounds into the fight.

-Matt

5. newlmplayer
    Skink

newlmplayer New Member

If my opponent tried to argue that the impact hits do not go through, is there somewhere in the rules that I can point to? Thanks

6. Wizgamer
    Cold One

Wizgamer New Member

But surely a challenge can not be entered into by another unit? It's a challenge between two peeps, with no intervention......

7. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

You can charge that opposing lone hero in the rear, and get ranks, standard, charge, and rear bonus for +7 combat res. Then everyone stands and watches the fight.

Again, the restriction is you cannot strike attacks against models in a challenge. That's it. Everything else still works.

Here why it DOESN'T work like that:
    If it did work that way, then a chief on a ripper could fly into the face of a wizard bunker and challenge. He'd kill the unit champ, and you could claim your opponent doesn't get ranks or standard, win combat and force a break test. Then you could do it again next round as you challenge your way through the unit.

8. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

"Impact Hits are resolved at the very beginning of close combat, before challenges are issued and attacks of any other kind are made. "

- BRB, pg 71: second paragraph under resolving impact hits.

The challenge effectively stops in between combats, and the impact hits are resolved before the challenge restarts, so yes, you get the impact damage.

9. Dreyer
    Cold One

Dreyer New Member

The challenge doesnt stop between rounds of combat since you dont have to re challenge each round. if they are already in a challenge when the steg charges in the impact hits do nothing

10. Wizgamer
    Cold One

Wizgamer New Member

I concur.

This is why I was confused about other people joining in the challenge as, as far as I am aware, a challenge is between the challenger and the challengee ONLY (otherwise it is not a challenge)

11. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I agree with Asamu, since the Challenge rules state that "they cannot be the target of other attacks for that round of combat" - it does state that the challenge will continue to the next round of combat - but i assume (and i couldn't find a fact on this) that it is resumed according to the normal rules for issuing a challenge, simply that it is automatically accepted - and the models moved back into base contact.

I'd say the Impact hits go in between as challenges are resolved after impact hits, and ended before the start of a new combat round (though if they're not completed ended they'd need to be resolved again)

12. twistedmagpie
    Saurus

twistedmagpie Member

Well this is getting a little confusing so i thought I'd give you my imput and mix it all up again....I always like to think of a situation as close to 'real life' as possible unless rules state otherwise. In this situation, I've got to wonder, would the stegadon know that a 'challenge' was going on? I wouldn't think so - it sees a combat - charges in - then when it comes to fight it sees that 2 heros are locked in a challenge and respectfully stay out of it.