8th Ed. Impossible flank charge

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by wbarobinson, Jan 13, 2012.

1. wbarobinson
    Saurus

wbarobinson New Member

Alright, so my Saurus are about 2 inches to the right of impassible terrain. Facing them from the front/left flank, 4 Morfangs which are like 4 inches deep and like pretty wide... We see that half the unit is in the front arc and half of it is in the left flank, we roll to see if it is a flank charge 4up and it is. My opponent realizes at that point that the charge is impossible, due to impassible terrain and we agree that they would have therefore make a frontal charge.

Thinking back, it seems to me that the dice declares them in the flank and therefore they should not be able to charge the front and must accept the failed charge and move the highest of their d6 forward.

Any thoughts?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I would lean toward agreeing with you about the the failed charge. However, the charge for the flank was questionable enough to roll off for it, so I would say that the front charge suceeds.

3. wbarobinson
    Saurus

wbarobinson New Member

It seems more sportsmanly to let the front charge happen, but I lost the game because of it... If he has stumbled forward, my saurus would have charged the next turn, buffed by the lore of life and saved themselves the 4xd3 st 5 hits...

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

In a friendly game, you did the right thing. If you were in a tournement or a more cut throat game, you could have denied him the charge.

5. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

i have faced the same problem, and i agree with Arli.

In a friendly game we just used a dice and the 4+ rule.

In a tournement it would be an failed charge.

6. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

It depends on how you came to decide to roll for the flank charge. If it was a friendly discussion about how best to decide where the charge should go then I would allow the frontal charge, if my opponent had been insisting he had the angle to flank charge then he has to live with the decision and I would mock him in a friendly way.

In this case remember you have the moral victory despite being slaughtered and are metaphorically chopped into little pieces on the battlefield or in the stewpot.

Also, if he had been friendly he would have gone with the failed flank charge, in this case I would probably re-roll the flank/frontal dice as friendly opponents would each insist the other should get the benefit.