7th Ed. "Initiative Test"

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Eagleblaze, May 4, 2009.

1. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

I am currently still using the 6th edition rule book as I have not yet got around to updating, however having read the 7th edition's version of "pit of shades" I am left wondering how one carries out an "Initiative test". I assume it is the same as a leadership test but using the appropriate characteristic values.
    Can someone please clarify this for me.

Thanks
    -Eagle-

2. Corbechev
    Saurus

Corbechev New Member

You roll one die and the target's owner has to try and roll under or equal to the value of the targets initiative. With a 6 always being a fail.

3. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Thanks for clarifying that.

-Eagle-

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah other characteristic tests are basically like leadership except one dice, where a 6 is always a fail.

5. greenbay924
    Skink

greenbay924 New Member

what about models with difference levels? (like a steg with skink crew) or a mount (like chaos knights) which initiative is used?

6. strewart
    OldBlood

In the case of normal mounts like knights, you just pick the highest initiative, almost always the rider. Most characteristic tests will target a specific part of the model, for example the VC frost blade will only hit the crew or the stegadon not both, so use the stat of whatever is being hit. In the case of pit of shades... I would probably again go with whatever the highest initiative is, that is what you do for chariots. Don't quote me on that though, I have not heard a ruling either way, it is an interesting question.

7. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

In the case of Monstrous mounts and their riders, if the template covers the entire base, both the Stegadon AND all of the Skinks must take an Initiative test using their own. This is the case for all template based attacks on monstrous mounts. So this spell is very deadly to creatures like Star Dragons and Ancient Stegadons.

8. salamander
    Skink

salamander New Member

but a fliyng unit wouldnt be hit would it?

9. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

Do you have any references to back that up? Because that would be extremely painful.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Page 60-61, 'Shooting at Monstrous Mounts', last paragraph on page 61 describes templates as hitting the whole model if part of it is under the template.... Yes it is very deadly.

I'm not sure how pit of shades works though.... Skinks can fall through the steg into a hole? It also says the whole model is removed, surely one skink failing cannot kill the whole model?

11. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

In this case, I suspect only the skink would fall through. Though if the Stegadon dies, remember the crew dies with it only with the exception of a character. And Pit of Shades clearly states that no special rule or magic can keep something from falling in, including flying creatures.