Blog Jay's Gallery of Random Guff!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by J.Logan, Jul 29, 2024.

Tags:
  1. J.Logan
    Cold One

J.Logan Well-Known Member

I was asked, so I figured I might as well give what was asked for and subject ya'll to my terrible photography skills. Oh, and my terrible models and their terrible painting. Can I manage to throw in the word Terrible and more? Terrible terrible.

I'll use this thread as a repository for my Monthly Goals. No Redcoat Lizard Conversions will be included in this one. This is pure random guff as I work my way through the grey masses that have built up over the decade.

If I have any anecdotes to give about a given model... I suppose I'll share.

---

[​IMG]

My Sci-Fi Conquistador lizardman conversion. So... this is actually the very first conversion project I ever tried my hand at. And for seven years he went unpainted, because I hadn't the confidence to paint him without thinking I'll botch it up. Which... I nearly did regardless. Go figure.

This project came about when I was chatting with a member of staff at the local GeeDubs, and we got to talking about what hypothetical form a sci-fi version of the Seraphon would take. I had two ideas, to go with the obvious American continent influence. One was to go sci-fi Wild West. The other, was to go really ironic and go sci-fi conquistador, because sure, let's turn the Meso-American influenced fantasy race and make their sci-fi counterparts based on the ones that invaded and colonised the Meso-American territories.

The Tempest Scions chestplate worked really well for the vibe, so we both decided to convert a lizardman into a sci-fi conquistador. My self-imposed challenge was to specifically use only GeeDubs parts, but I ended up failing that when I used arms from Bolt Action's American infantry. (It was surprisingly hard to find arms that actually held that damn techno-musket properly).

--

[​IMG]

No real anecdotes for this gal. I saw her on Etsy and she amused me.

--

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

My "Brotherhood of Nod" infantry. Though really, the only real indicator is the helmet on the first one who I have two pictures of. I grabbed the models at random, didn't realise till I was done that I'd grabbed three of the four helmetless characters. Technically, they aren't actually Nod troops, I was actually trying to recreate the villain army from my original works, which was heavily influenced by the Brotherhood of Nod in their looks. And when I saw the helmets for sale on Shapeways, I felt I had to use them. Used them as an opportunity to test out doing slight red camo (camo is the bane of my existence, because I never feel I've got the balance between too much and too little)

Also in that last gal, the slight discolouration of her flesh at her jawline is deliberate. She is supposed to have burn scarring. Not sure how well it gets across.

--

pyro-dragon, Warden, Imrahil and 2 others like this.
  2. J.Logan
    Cold One

No backstory for the next ten, they were models I picked up at random with the intention of using in TTRPG sessions. They mostly come from Malifaux, though I believe one is actually from Wild West Exodus.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Warden, Imrahil, Explodingzeb and 2 others like this.
  3. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

J.Logan likes this.
  4. JTSleep
    Carnasaur

JTSleep Well-Known Member

These look great, man.

Now shut up about me laughing at your work, grab that brush and start intimidating your pile of shame. :D

J.Logan likes this.
  5. J.Logan
    Cold One

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tartarus Terminators are plain, man. Managed these Thousand Sons terminators in a short span of time. Side note... the sergeant's chest doesn't look so bad to the naked eye, the blue I fixed up some gold spillage was still thousand sons blue, the photo just makes it obvious that the metallic effect has been blotted out, and I couldn't fix THAT without basically undoing EVERYTHING.

6. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

They look really good. Well done @J.Logan

J.Logan likes this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Nice work on the terminators!

J.Logan likes this.
  8. J.Logan
    Cold One

[​IMG]

Light infantry, ready for action!

[​IMG]

A plucky young private, fresh out of training and not yet worn down by the realities of the war he foolishly enlisted in.

[​IMG]

Grumpy grandad with a shotgun. Stay off'a his lawn, yippersnapper! - a random RPG mini, came from Malifaux.

[​IMG]

An Oxfordian Mage, using mastery of water to... better knock the block off of some fool? Malifaux figure with the intention of TTRPG usage.

[​IMG]

Another Oxfordian Mage, this one a master of wind, using it to sit on the comfiest seat in existence: the very air. Same as above, intended for a mage character in TTRPG usage. Oh lordy the mold lines on the legs. :eek:

[​IMG]

Another random Malifaux mini with RPG intentions. Devil man with a sawn off and a staff to beat the fear of El Diablo into you!

[​IMG]

A literal exercise in seeing what I could get be picking out things from my (at the time) tiny little bitzbox. What I got was The Punisher with an E-11 blaster rifle in one hand, and a... tesla rifle? in the other. I believe the tesla rifle was a Victoria Miniatures plasma rifle.

[​IMG]

Oh god... I spend far too long arguing with the focus of the camera and this was the best result I got. What if Master Splinter was a bird instead of a rat? I'm sure he has four teenage sons who happen to be ninjas hidden somewhere. What species those sons happen to be is a mystery.

---

My arguments with my phone's camera continue. One day... ONE DAY... I will have a better setup for taking pictures of miniatures. I can dream, right?

Imrahil, JTSleep, - Q - and 1 other person like this.
  9. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

Lots of great stuff here! :)

J.Logan likes this.
  10. JTSleep
    Carnasaur

That is one great batch of minis! Great work!

Now, where is that Slann? I demand pictures of marble! :D

- Q - and J.Logan like this.
  11. J.Logan
    Cold One

Once I can bare to look at it again without thinking about how everything I pictured in my head refused to translate.

From the front, you wouldn't see so much of it anyway, I complimented it with jade. Frog boy is sitting on the bulk of white, and blocking three other bulk of white :p

Also it occurred to me I should use some ardcoat to give that marble a shine.

- Q - and JTSleep like this.
  12. JTSleep
    Carnasaur

I can relate. :D
    I painted carnosaur some time ago and wanted oldblood saddle to be white marble as well.

Imrahil, - Q - and J.Logan like this.
  13. - Q -
    Slann

- Q - Well-Known Member

I second that motion! :)

14. pyro-dragon
    Skink

pyro-dragon Member

A fellow lizards-with-guns enjoyer

- Q - and J.Logan like this.
  15. J.Logan
    Cold One

Haha. I enjoy subverting the norms, within reason. :p Once I have the bulk of my unpainted masses forced into colour-vision, I plan to get back to my planned conversion project, which is turning lizardmen into British redcoats, complete with skinks armed with muskets. Artwork of the faction I intend to have in model form can be found HERE, and there is also the fiction that the art is depicting in the Fluff and Fiction section, if you enjoy reading long and still in progress stories :p.

16. pyro-dragon
    Skink

pyro-dragon Member

I think I saw some of this when I went sniffing arounf AO3 for lore last night.

17. J.Logan
    Cold One

Quite likely, the actual story is further along on AO3 (and a couple of other places), as I'm taking the opportunity to go through and make any edits and catch those spelling and grammar issues that evaded notice beforehand as I post the chapters here on Lustria (also prevented twenty plus odd posts in a single moment. XD