8th Ed. Killing Blow

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Goat1of4, May 4, 2011.

1. Goat1of4
    Skink

Goat1of4 New Member

Dose killing blow ignore armor all the time or just when the 6 to wound is rolled?

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Just 6 to wound

3. Goat1of4
    Skink

Goat1of4 New Member

Could you please explain the reasoning behind that? I am having a heck of a time wrapping my head around this one.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The killing blow is basically a lucky shot! It is a fluffy lucky shot. Let's say that you have a weapon that has killing blow. Let's use Tiq'Taq'To for the example. His mount has the killing blow ability. It means that when he flies by, the mount attacks. Once the mount hits, the mount flies up in the air and drops the target. This wounds on a 4-5 (on most To4 targets), but on a die roll of 6, the attack is just so good that it bypasses the armor (but not the ward save). Another example would be a challenge in which the killing blow would be like a one shot decapitation.

Hope that helps. Clear as mud, right?

5. Quicksilver
    Skink

Quicksilver New Member

It's when it gets to Heroic Killing Blow that things start to get a little silly. Thankfully the only people who can use that one are Brettonian lords and Skulltaker.

6. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

And Chakax and demon slayers and necrosphinxes and numerous named characters.

7. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Chakax doesn't have HKB...

As far as I know, the only things that currently have heroic killing blow in the game are:

Skulltaker
    Brettonian with virtue of heroism
    Tomb King with destroyer of eternities
    Necrosphinx

Daemon slayers actually don't have it (oddly enough), and I can't think of one special character besides Skulltaker that does.

I've been wrong before, but can anyone name another specific instance of HKB besides the ones above?

8. Quicksilver
    Skink

Quicksilver New Member

No instances of heroic killing blow... I can think of many cases where magic items have HKB - like effects, if you see what I mean. Vampire Frostblades, Lizardmen's Blade of Realities, Dark elf Venomsword, Wood elf Hagbane arrows (but they will never do anything >.>) all of these can cause an enemy to die on the spot, even though it's not technicaly heroic killing blow.

Having said that, Skulltaker only gets his HKB in a challenge, so it's not much use to you against a hydra. The Venomsword allows the assassin that uses it only three attacks, so it seems unlikely to wound a T6 monster (let alone have him fail his saves), and Hagbane arrows are not only less likely to wound, but they also require a T6 monster to fail a toughness test, so not too common. The sphinx may have heroic killing blow, but only for one attack, so I fail to see the point exactly.

That leaves Destroyer of Eternities and the Virtue of Heroism. All in all, I would say that we're going to have to wait for the new edition of army books before this becomes a very prevalent rule :/

9. Coatl
    Temple Guard

Coatl New Member

skulltaker gets HKB all the time, not just challenges. but besides that, yes :)

10. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

In their army book, Skulltaker just has regular killing blow all the time, like the other bloodletters/ Khorne Heralds. Only in a challenge does it become heroic (and work on a 5+ instead of 6). Nothing in the FAQ seems to suggest differently.