8th Ed. Line of Sight and Forward Arc

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Stonecutter, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Since the advent of 8th edition, I have found the generally accepted rule for LOS on a model was the 90 degree forward arc. However, while the rules for shooting, some spells & charging specifically limit activities to the forward arc, I cannot find anything restricting LOS to the forward arc. More specifically, the rules on page 10 give a nebulous description of drawing a line from the eyes of the model to the intended target. If this is indeed the true definition for LOS, with no reference to forward or other arcs, it strikes me that most models/units would have ~180 degree LOS and lizards would have close to 360 LOS since the eyes on most models on located on the sides of the head. Am I missing something somewhere or is LOS actually this "flexible" ?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

for single models/skirmishers it's the front 180 degres,
    for everything ealse its the front 90 degrese.

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Is there any page reference in the CRB or FAQ for this?

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I think TLoS is horse-poop. As I have always played, a model has to be in the Frontal Arc (90 degrees) to be considered within line of sight.

Here's a confusing thread on Warseer about it. Nothing really productive from what I read. Is Line of Sight 360° in 8th?

Here's a better one. Quick and to the point. Skirmishers - LOS

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

@Qupakoco: I fully agree that TLOS is less than ideal, to put it mildly. However, I think the 2nd thread you provided confirms my original question and issue with LOS - it is, by the rules, based on the model's eyeballs. That being the case, I guess it is time to add some extra eyeballs (say along the lines of a beholder for those of you who ever played DnD) to the slaan so that he has 360 LOS when passing along the cupped hands miscast :D

6. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Lol, yes. Or don't glue him onto the clear flyer stick so you can spin him around as you please.

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

id love to hear what you base that on n810.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I believe it implyed somewhere that your line of sight has to be somewhere within your charge arc.

ahh this might help a bit...
    http://mkwgs.eamped.com/2010/08/20/warhammer-8th-edition-easy-to-miss-rules/

I might be wrong on Characters haveing 180 field of view wnen on thir own...
    It might just be 90...
    I'll have to check and see if lone characters are still considered skirmishers...

9. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

As stated earlier, the only definition given for LOS (that I have been able to find) is on page 10 - implications are a recipe for disaster since just about anything can be "implied" depending on ones perspective :D The rules for charges and spells are clearer since they include specific mention of the forward arc for charging, direct damage & magic missiles. I am now more convinced than ever that the 90 & 180 degree LOS figures are merely artifacts left over from previous editions.

10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Nope, in the previous edition, skirmisheres had 360 degree line of site.

Ps. what are you trying to use TLOS for besides spells and shooting ?
    basocly TLOS is just for determining cover saves or target eligeability.

11. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

There are a few items (e.g. Cupped hands) and some spells from older books (WoC nurgle cloying quagmire, buboes, etc.) that have wording to the effect that models within LOS are affected. Until the old books are replaced or a FAQ issued defining the type of spell as direct damage/magic missile, etc. then the wording is applied (pg. 31, last line, para under choosing a target) and hence the definition and application of LOS becomes quite significant.

12. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

what i would like to know is where the 180 degree LOS for skirmishers come from. this is nothing ive ever heard or seen (and might have missed) and page 77 in the BRB is fairly clear that the front arc is the usual 90 degrees for skirmishers at least.

13. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

The 180 degree is a relic of either an older set of rules or even another game system. Off the top of my head, War Machine comes to mind as the only system I know of where models have 180 degree LOS.

14. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

indeed warmachine uses 180 degrees (i started warmachining a few months back in i really enjoy it so far). but if its from an older set of rules, it would have to be 3rd edition or older :D