1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lizardmen 500pt Escalation List

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Fitzloq, Dec 10, 2021.

1. Fitzloq
    Skink

Fitzloq Active Member

Hi folks.

Myself and a few friends are all starting a new army in January for a "new year, new army" project. First goal is to have 500pts painted by the end of February and then to grow by 250pts each month, bringing us to 3000pts by the end of the year if all goes well. We'll meet up for games at each stage and transition to more of a narrative campaign at 2000pts. I'm up against Dwarfs, Ogre Kingdoms and Warriors of Chaos. We're going to use the Warhammer Armies Project rules, but I've chosen the 8th edition tag as that's what it's closest to.

We're going to use the Border Patrol rules for 500-750pts, moving to traditional list construction for 1000pts, and lists persist between stages. By this I mean that you cannot remove a unit from your army unless it is wiped out, at which point you can elect to replace it with another choice. You can increase the size of units but not shrink them.

For those unfamiliar, Border Patrol requires a Hero for general, must include at least two units (one of which must be Core) and we are allowed either 1 Special or 1 Rare choice. No unit can have more than 20 models and no single model can cost more than 125pts.

Before knowing what I was up against I came up with the following:

Saurus Scar-Veteran, Light Armor, Shield, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl (+1 NA), Sword of Might - 124pts
    Saurus Warriors x15, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl, Hand Weapons, Musician, Standard Bearer - 200pts
    Skink Skirmishers x12, Javelins & Shields - 96pts
    Salamander Hunting Pack, 3x Handlers - 80pts

For a total of 500pts dead on the nose.

I know fantasy isn't balanced terribly well at low points regardless of edition, but my concern is whether this can compete with what I expect to see. I'm predicting:

Ogres: block of Bulls or Ironguts with a Butcher or Firebelly and either some Leadbelchers or an Ironblaster
    Dwarfs: gunline with either a cannon or organ gun and some amount of missile troops
    Chaos: definitely a unit of Chaos Warriors with an Exalted Hero and then either Knights or a chariot

I'm basically worried the Ogres and Warriors of Chaos will charge me and wipe my Saurus before they get to swing and the Dwarfs will just delete me off the table. I've been considering whether I just accept I won't be able to do much until we get to 1000pts and up where I can work towards a Slann and dominate the magic phase.

Any thoughts welcome! I know most probably won't be familiar with Warhammer Armies Project but advice based on 8th is probably still useful.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Campaign sounds great!

Would love to give some advice on 8th, but I think you're using 6th or 7th edition rules though, if you're using "Blessed Spawning of Quetzl"?

3. Fitzloq
    Skink

Fitzloq Active Member

Hi! As mentioned we're using the Warhammer Armies Project rules, which is an 8.5 or 9th edition but distinct from 9th Age, so I didn't want to use that tag. Perhaps I should have used none at all to avoid confusion!

Lizards of Renown likes this.