8th Ed. Lone Character Look Out Sir Question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by SanDiegoSurrealist, Jun 14, 2012.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Was doing a little rules refreshing and came across this:

pg 97 MRB
    If a Lone Character is hit by a shooting attack of any kind (including shoots fires using ballistic skill, templates, and so on) a look out sir roll can be be attempted so long as there is a friendly unit within 3".

Does that mean that a Lone Character can get LOS roll vs. shooting say from a unit of 20 Elven Archers?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yes, if he is within three inches of a friendly unit of the same type (i.e. infantry). It also will be a 4+, not a 2+.

3. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Yes.

PS: I hope you appreciate how much effort it takes for me to contain my inner smartass.

4. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

by all means let loose. :)

I always thought this was only against template weapons, just as if he was in a unit, but 4+ that is why I ask.

Follow up question:

A unit of 20 pointy ears try to pin cushion my Lone Dwarf Daemon Slayer, but alas the Daemon Slayer is 3" away from a unit of 20 Warriors. Does he get twenty look out sir rolls if they all hit? Or would it be 1 LOS roll for all 20 hits as one noble Dwarf Warrior valiantly dives in front of the hail of arrows; thus saving the Daemon slayer a less that heroic death.

I posted this scenario on Warseer as well I am just curious to see if we are all on the same page. :)

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That is an interesting follow-up question. I could go either way on it because the dwarf pushed out of the way at the last second (or the dead dwarf leaps in front of the arrows). I can see the LOS roll being just one roll. However, I can also see one or two arrows hitting the target dwarf as there would be a lot of arrows falling on that spot.

I would probably go with 20 look out sir rolls. You should discuss it with your opponent to get their input and agree on the outcome of that.

6. ThatFrogGuy
    Skink

ThatFrogGuy New Member

I'm confused why dwarfs would be in our jungles in the first place. Skink-ly poison would have done them in long ago.

7. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Perhaps they delved too deeply, and came up on the other side of the ocean?

I'd go with a LoS roll per hit as well, although I don't have the rule book at hand.

8. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

Let me rephrase it into Lizardman speak:

An almighty Slann is pondering the meaning of the universe in the middle of a battle and a group of Evil Pointy Ears unleash a hail of crossbow bolts at him. Scoring 20 hits.

A group of Skinks that happened to be 3" away, rather than see their god leader fall, fling themselves in front the falling arrows. Does he get twenty look out sir rolls? Or would it be 1 LOS roll for all 20 hits as one noble Skink Cohort valiantly dives in front of the hail of arrows.

9. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

I'd question why the Slaan was not in a TG block without being Ethereal.

His natural 4+ wardsave is just as good as the look our sir roll as well.

If you are worried about it you could also give him the upgraded shield of the old ones (2+)? With all these costs its probably just as cheap to make him Ethereal though.

If we're talking about a stuntie thing.. doesn't it have high armor and toughness? Do these bow shots actually pose any threat at all?

Smart assery aside,

I would also agree on the 20 LoS rolls

10. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

20 rolls.

11. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

But Lo,S isn't a ward save so he can take Lo,S against the hits and then if any of the remaining hits wound he can take his ward save.

Slayers don't wear armour and while their T is good, they don't have a lot of wounds.

Indeed.

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I'm also for the 20 Look Out Sir rolls. Just remember that you need to remove the models that successfully saved a hero from piercing death. It makes me laugh, though, thinking of twenty guys from the neighbouring unit jumping out of formation to catch arrows with their chests and throats. And then the extremely dutiful unit loses enough models and need to take a Panic test, which they fail, causing the Non-Pin-Cushion Hero to take a Panic test too. Which he, by the law of Murphy, fails, and all of them run out of the gaming table, less than heroically.

13. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

It is indeed 20. The section refers to "a shooting attack, the hit, etc.