1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Lord Kroak vs. The Black Axe

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Iskander, Jul 13, 2016.

1. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I was reading the Death book for giggles today (I'm planning to start an army there, but it will be some time before I really assemble anything). A unit in there is the Wight King with Black Axe. The model has this rule:

Black Axe: Roll a dice at the end of the combat phase for each enemy model that this Wight King wounded but did not slay. If the result is greater than the number of wounds that model has remaining, it is slain.​

In contrast, our venerable, majestic, and sublime Lord Kroak has this rule, which reads, in relevant part:

Dead for Innumerable Ages: . . . . In the battleshock phase of each turn, roll a dice and add the number of wounds that Lord Kroak has suffered during the turn. If the result is higher than his Bravery, he is 'slain.' Otherwise, any wounds he has suffered are immediately healed. If an ability or rule would cause him to be slain outright, he is not; instead he suffers D6 mortal wounds.​

So, as an initial matter, the Black Axe can't slay Lord Kroak outright. It would at most just cause him D6 mortal wounds.

However, when would it ever cause him those mortal wounds? At no point does Lord Kroak have "wounds remaining." It appears that Lord Kroak never even has a quantifiable amount of "wounds" at all.

So, my question for you guys is this: Can the Black Axe ever cause mortal wounds to Lord Kroak?

If the answer is "no," then so be it. But I want to hear your arguments :)

Alternatively: I might house-rule this to say that Lord Kroak's "wound count" is a function of Bravery and wounds-suffered-so-far, (like, maybe "wound count for black axe purposes" = Bravery - [wounds-suffered-this-turn]), but that's clearly reading things into the rule that are not there. What would you guys do instead?

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Good question, I think you would go on Bravery less wounds he as on him for the round if it qualifies for the black axe give him the d6 wounds and hope you don't get destroyed in battleshock so they go away.

Crowsfoot and Iskander like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I would play it as @Bowser describes.

Iskander likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I think it's pretty clear.

Kroak rolls Vs his Bravery in the battleshock phase of each turn, adding the number of wounds that he has suffered during the turn.
    At the end of the combat phase the axe inflicts d6 mortal wounds to Kroak.

5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I don’t think so. Black axe specifically says end of the combat phase. So the damage would have to have been inflicted before you get to the battle shock phase.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

o_O
    The end of the combat phase happens before the battleshock phase.
    End of combat = the axe doesn't slay kroak but inflicts d6 wounds
    battleshock: Kroak rolls again his bravery, adding the wound suffered during the turn.

7. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

B
    But why would it inflict d6 wounds at all? This only happens if the Black Axe die roll exceeds the number of remaining wounds at that instant. Yet, Kroak never has any particular number of wounds.

If you are suggesting a house rule, that's totally fine and I approve! :) Yet that result is not required by the text of the rules at all, imho.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

I am also open to the notion that Kroak is just immune to the Black Axe's special rule entirely. Buuuut I don't think Death players will like that :D

Bowser likes this.
  9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Sure, technically Kroak doesn't have a listed number of wounds, however 10 wounds kill him.
    I don't think you can get a free pass because we have not a real number.

Try to look it this way: Kroak's wounds are not "0", are "*". And that * means basically "infinite", because if I inflict 40 wounds to kroak in the shooting phase, he's still alive.
    So, a d6 will always roll less than "infinite".

Bowser likes this.
  10. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Ok, it does read like Kroak gets a free pass on that ability.

Death players are not going to like this.
    :D

11. Otzi'mandias
    Ripperdactil

Otzi'mandias Well-Known Member

Well, it does seem reasonable that a dice couldn't roll past infinity....
    But with my luck, my opponent will somehow manage it. He is the only person I've ever played who managed to roll a thirteen with two dice.

12. Iskander
    Chameleon Skink

Iskander Active Member

That is exactly my point, and why I approve of a houserule solution :)