8th Ed. Lords/Heroes joining units?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Rizzq, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Rizzq
    Skink

Rizzq New Member

Hi guys.

I am new to Fantasy, (played 40k previously) and my friends and I are about to start playing. The posts I've read here have helped me to get a basic grasp of everything, so first of all, thank you.

I was just wondering what the rules are in relation to Lords or Heroes joining regular units.

I intend on playing a Skink Priest and/or Oldblood (both on foot) for 1000 point games and I was wondering which units each of them is eligible to join?

Specifically I would like to know if a Skink Priest can join skink skirmishers or chameleons and if the oldblood can join Saurus or temple guard.

Cheers.

2. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Anything on foot, if labeled Infantry, can join any unit. If they join an unit that moves faster then the hero joining it then the unit slows to that speed. Characters are all considered skirmishers so they can join skirmisher units. Not sure on monster handlers but I think it's still valid.

The only thing you have to watch for is base size. If a saurus for example joins a skink unit, he would be placed on either side of the unit, and won't be able to move position. But if he joins another saurus unit he can move through it.

This is all explained better in the rule book under the character's section, I suggest you take a look there.

3. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Craken is correct. Further, in your example, if you put the skink priest in the chameleon unit, he shares the skirmisher rule. However, the chameleons cannot be deployed as scouts if he is in the unit. You could deploy the scouts close enough for him to march and join the unit. That would work.

On the salamander or razordon, you could join them, but I do not really see the point as you would not gain any benefit from it. No look out sir or anything.

4. Rizzq
    Skink

Rizzq New Member

Thanks very much guys, I'm working without a rulebook at the moment so any help is great.

I'll post a preliminary army list sometime soon.

5. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

Didn't think characters could join monster and handler units, I used to have priests join sallie units but I don't do it any more and I think it was because of a rule change.