8th Ed. Lore of Death

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Zakharov, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Zakharov
    Saurus

Zakharov Member

After a close game with a Lore of Death Slann against a WE player, we discussed the wording of the lore special ability 'Life Leech'.
    As I interpreted the rules (and how the game was played), you rolled one dice for each actual wound caused up to the maximum that killed the target, the remaining hits were not counted.
    However, the rule could easily be interpreted as one dice per wound caused above and beyond the characters death (ie, you roll a 12 for the Fate of Bjuna, subtract 3 for toughness, roll 9 dice for wounds, roll no 1s and subsequently roll 9 dice at a 5+ for a new PD).
    What's the verdict?

2. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

The Lore of Death Attribute just says that for each unsaved wound you cause you do your die roll for more dice.
    Thus even if its a 1 wound model that takes 9 wounds, if he saves 0 then you just caused 9 unsaved wounds and get to roll 9 times(not 1 for the only wound the model has).
    I'm sure that if this has been FAQ'd somewhere someone will jump in and say I'm wrong, but that's how I would allow it to be played so...

3. Zakharov
    Saurus

Zakharov Member

Awesome.

4. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

Yesterday i had the same problem with the lore of death, i can`t find it in the FAQ.
    Maybe i`m not seeing it?
    this is indeed important, i would like to know this also.

thanx

5. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

There is no FAQ on the matter. However, if one reads the lore attribute carefully, some additional clarity can be found. The lore attribute states that, "roll a d6 for each unsaved wound caused by the spell (models removed by Purple Sun of Xereus each add a number of dice equal to their Wounds characteristic)"

The text in green is the important part as it (IMHO) indicates that the number of dice generated are based on the models wound characteristic and not the theoretical number of wounds caused. Accordingly, if the model targeted has only 1 wound, then only 1 die can be rolled while if it has 5 wounds, up to 5 dice could be rolled. This is also consistent with all other multiple wound weapon/model rules where excess wounds are not carried over or counted - the only exception being in a challenge.

6. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Purple sun of xereus doesn't cause wounds, thus the wording needed to be included otherwise the spell itself wouldn't generate any attribute dice.

7. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Cravenus,
    I agree that Purple Sun doesn't cause wounds but the wording for it does indicate that the number of dice generated is based on the number of wounds the model has rather than the number of unsaved wounds caused. Since the existing wording is unclear as to whether "excess" unsaved wounds would generate a d6 roll for the lore attribute, my intent was to rely on other rules such as the purple sun wording and the rules for excess combat/shooting wounds to try and identify a solution that was consistent with similar situations. In the end, I agree that it can go either way and would confirm with my opponent prior to playing if it was an issue.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Sure looks like a point that could go either way. Personally when I played I did not allow excess overkill wounds to potentially give me more dice, a good Slann is powerful enough as it is without needing to argue a small point like that. In general in WHFB, excess wounds tend to count for nothing EXCEPT in rare cases like challenges where it specifies.

9. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

The lore attribute is quite clear, the wording pretty unambiguous, and fairly simple even.

I point now to Strewart, not as a means of attack, but to simply make a pointed statement.

Note how he said "it could go either way, I'll talk to my opponent" but failed to take a stance. THAT is how you say it, you don't say "I take this stance, BUT it could go either way". It makes you sound mealymouthed, and weakens your argument.

10. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Stating your opinion doesn't weaken anything.

11. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

I got a question about lore of death.

If the slann(in a TG unit) uses the purple sun, do you also lose about 3 TG? , because they are in the front of the arc?
    I think we do, but i just wanted to be sure.

thanx

12. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Well you dont "loose" them but they will be hit.