8th Ed. Lore of Life and Cupped Hands

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by GrindingMadness, Mar 6, 2013.

1. GrindingMadness
    Skink

GrindingMadness New Member

Hi!
    I've been talking this thing over with my friends and looked through the FAQ and this is the case.
    I run a slann with lore of life and often i give him the cupped hands of the old ones too.
    Now if I roll a misscast when I'm trying to cast Throne of Whines, the spell will be cast first from what I understand.
    After that, should I then:
    A) Roll which Misscast and then try to ignore it first with Cupped Hands and then Throne of Whines.
    The thing about this is that the Throne of Whines have become active in play before the misscast is happening. So i get the double effect.

B) I try to ignore the misscast with the Cupped Hands and then the Throne of Whines without finding out the misscast beforehand.

C) I roll the misscast and then the Cupped hands (and if this fails, i suffer the misscast).
    After this the Throne of Whines is active and in play from then on

D) The Throne of Whines and Cupped hands when both in play combine and i still just have the same safe fo a misscast.

Hope you can help me with this one.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The spell effect occurs before the miscast. Then you have a choice to make. You can chose to roll for the throne of vines save (which takes place before the miscast results are rolled). Or you can chose to let it go and roll the result of the miscast and use the Cupped Hands.

Due to cupped hands wording, it must always be rolled after the miscast result.

Throne of vines offers a save that you do not have to take, however, you will be playing with fire if you do not take it. I have been burned several times because I failed the cupped hands save. I feel that it is better to have both in place and use them as the need dictates. I do not like making my slann explode just pass it on to the other guy's caster.

3. GrindingMadness
    Skink

Thanks a lot! Me and my friends have been debating for quite some time now. And we kept disagreeing.
    So it's really great with a final answer

4. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Just one minor amendment on the the Throne of Vines save to avoid the miscast. The dice roll to avoid the miscast is not optional, it must be done. The wording is very specific that, "every time the Wizard miscasts, roll a dice. On a 2+, the miscast is ignored."

5. Arli
    Skink Priest

Good catch, we always played it as optional (but I usually took the save). I failed both of them once too.

6. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

We must be using the same dice! The worst part is when I predict it before rolling and then, after failing both times to avoid the miscast, proceed to dimensionally cascade. :D

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Yea, that does sound familiar. I swear there was a stretch where my slann failed cupped hands then got dimensional cascade almost every week.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The greatest way to ensure you roll a 1 on Cupped Hands is to deliberately seek a miscast to pass on to an enemy spell caster. Alternatively you will pass a weeny miscast and then you miscast on your very next spell with only three dice.

9. GrindingMadness
    Skink

My Cupped Hands save is the only save I only failed once, and that was in a duel. In the same combatefase i ran his regiment down. Rather nice