8th Ed. Lore of Life...

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by guitarhero, Dec 18, 2010.

1. guitarhero
    Saurus

guitarhero New Member

Situation:

A Slann with the Lore of Life has cast throne of Vines.

He casts another spell with irrestible force. Throne of vines negates it on a 2-6.

He rolls a 1.

Can he then use a cupped hands of the old ones if he has it?

2. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Yes, he can. In fact if he has throne and cupped hands he must try to use the throne first as it takes affect before the miscast result is rolled for, while cupped hands take effect after that.
    that all arranged in steps goes like this.
    1. Get a miscast.
    2. Roll to save using throne of vines (if it works go to step 6).
    3. Roll to see the results of the miscast.
    4. Roll for cupped hands.
    5. Resolve consequences of miscast.
    6. End.

3. guitarhero
    Saurus

guitarhero New Member

4. vapor
    Razordon

vapor New Member

Actually, that falls under "the player who's turn it is decides the order" since they happen at the same time. You can always choose to try to cupped hands a miscast away before trying to throne of vines it.

5. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

No you can't. You must wait to see what the result of the miscast on the table roll is before you use Cupped hands. Throne is rolled before the table roll at all.

6. vapor
    Razordon

vapor New Member

Where are you getting that? All throne says is that when you miscast you roll a die, on a 2+ it is ignored. Reread the section on miscasts, there's nothing that says you have to ignore the miscast before you roll on the table. (Assuming I haven't missed an FAQ update somewhere.)

7. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Because it says "when you roll a miscast" it means it happens as soon as you roll the double sixes (or any doubles if powerscrolled), if it said "when the wizard suffers from a miscast" or something like that then it would imply that it happens after the result roll and you get to pick. Its a nitpicky situation where things aren't clear either way. Seeing as i'm not a win at all costs player i play it the RAW (or at least closer to the ambiguous RAW) version.

8. vapor
    Razordon

vapor New Member

If the rulebook had a distinction about exactly what a miscast is (if it's the roll of a double six or if it's the result you roll on the the table) things would be a lot more clear.

As it stands, every game I've played (both friendly and in tourney's) have considered the roll on the table the actual miscast (not just the roll of double sixes) and thus you can choose to throne or cupped hands it via the simultaneous rule.

I really wish they would answer things like this in the FAQ's (and about if you use the handlers leadership for M&H).

9. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Lately they do which is an improvement i am willing to give GW credit for, now they just need to keep it up.