1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Lore of Undeath

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Lizards of Renown, Jul 3, 2020.

1. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Okay, so I recently read the Errata/FAQ's for the 8th Edition.

As part of this, it says that any wizard can choose the Lore of Undeath.

As part of the Lore of Undeath, it says you can summon units from the Legion of Undead.

The Legion of Undead says that it is all models from the Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings army lists.

So I had a think about this...

Does this mean that I can summon Tomb Kings models for my Lore of Undeath Slann?!?

I await with barely suppressed excitement the response...

@NIGHTBRINGER
    @Scalenex
    @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    @ASSASSIN_NR_1
    @Imrahil
    @Tk'ya'pyk
    @Erta Wanderer
    @airjamy

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

sorry im the wrong person to ask still haven't got all the rules down yet. not much point with no games going on

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I’m not an expert on the Lore of Undeath (the only End Times book I bought was Thanquol because it had rules for new Skaven units and jungle fighting in Lustria), but I think this is correct - any army with a wizard who can use the lore can indeed summon Tomb Kings stuff!

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

PHWOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Oh man...

Imrahil likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I don't know. I'm not a fan of the End Times stuff at all.

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Oh... Fair enough.

I didn't factor in that the rule comes from the game rules that ended the 8th.... humph...

At least I can surprise my next foe by summoning something juicy from the Tomb Kings list.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

And I guess that whoever the spellcaster is then counts as the Hierophant...?

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Yes, units with the Lore of Undead can summon any unit from the Vampire Counts and/or Tomb Kings book.

I know your general counts as the vampire general. I think the general counts as the Heirophant too. It's possible that if you have a Slann that is not using Undeath and a Skink priest IS using Undeath that the Slann would be the vampire general and the Skink priest would be the Heirophant. I don't know. In any event, I believe with the Lore of Undeath, you go big or go home. I am not likely to take the Lore of Undeath on a lowly Skink priest without also taking in on a Slann.

You can also summon Morghast Harbringers and Morghast Archai which are units with rules in the Nagash EndtTimes supplement.

In my opinion, Morghasts are not a good choice for Lore of Undeath users unless the base army Undead Legions, Tomb Kings, or Vampire Counts. Morghasts buff other undead units. Even at my most undeath heavy games, I'm not likely to have more than three or four undead units on the table as Lizardmen.

So I don't worry about Morghasts.

In my opinion, with the exception of skeleton archers, Vampire Counts are generally superior troops to summon than Tomb Kings units. Probably because Settra does not like his units serving another...

Check out this thread from the 8th edition Tactica Index and pay attention to the commentary of Rotted Toad where he tells me what I got right and what I didn't. Rotted Toad has far more experience playing undead than I.

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Awesome, thanks. Will check out the thread.