7th Ed. Magical lore part of army list?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Buhallin, Feb 15, 2010.

1. Buhallin
    Skink

Buhallin New Member

This is probably obvious to anyone who's been playing Warhammer longer than the two months I have, but damned if I can find it anywhere.

For tournament play especially, is the lore selected by a wizard considered part of the list? Or can you select a different lore before each game?

Thanks in advance!

2. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

the lore is selected before rolling for spells, before deployment after setting up the terrain. you chose the lore before you see his troops but you can change ir from game to game, unlike, for example, slann disciplines that you specify in the army list (i think, people on this forum said you specify them when creating a list and i'm not going to argue against that opinion as it would be... not nice to swich them before games)

3. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

I usually only pick my lore once I've seen what my opponent has in his army, that seems to be what most people do in the area that I play in ;)

4. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

well as per the rulebook, bibamus is correct as to when it should be done.

most people in a tournament setting will have constructed thier army around a particular lore.

regardless, the short answer is no, you do not have to write the lore on your army list, and you can use a different one in each game

5. Wolf
    Kroxigor

Wolf Member

The way we play it in Belgium and the Netherlands, you place your army on the table before the game so that your opponent knows what's in it. Different countries mean different habits huh ;)

6. Little Wolf
    Saurus

Little Wolf New Member

The way me and my friends play it in the netherlands is just before deployment :p

7. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

here on the rolling plains of Kansas (USA) we always choose the lore after seeing each other's army and then make rolls at that time. We always tell each other what spells (and provide descriptions) too.

8. Exodite
    Skink

Exodite New Member

Same as same as with friendlies, see troops pick your list, but tournament rules are normally before set up but least you can judge based on what race they are playing.

9. skinker
    Temple Guard

skinker New Member

My opinion is that declaring lores before deployment gives your opponent the advantage of knowing how many mages you have coming. (since if you say I have no lores to delcare) that means you have no slann and the opponent will have the advantage of this knowledge during his deployment. Just a thought.

10. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

you not only declare wich lore, bu you also roll for spells, thus deployment can be, in fact, determined by wich spells you ar facing, rather that selecting spells by what deployment the oponent has. i'm quite the rules lawyer so we all roll our spells before seing each others troops (alltough, most of the time, we allready know what the other brings to the table from previous games). i'm usually at a disadvantage because of thise, sine i usually have the most powerful magic and have to chose a lore before i know if the oponents brings cavlary or gunline [metal/life] but i like it this way. i feel this is the way it was intended to be played and if it is to my advantage of not, i play like its written.