Blog Matt's Big Blog of Lizards, Skinks and Frogs!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Crusty Sosig, Mar 24, 2021.

1. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Good afternoon, morning, evening, or night ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to my cosy little corner of Lustria. I have a LOT of projects underway and on the way in the future, so eventually this blog will be filled with all kinds of colourful characters.

To give a little background, I've been painting for roughly a year now, so feedback is always appreciated, as I'm always looking for ways to improve my painting.

The theme for my Seraphon is Monster Hunter, a game series I have been a fan of/obsessed with for years. Combine that with my love of dinosaurs, and you've got yourself a match made in heaven, at least in my eyes!

2. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

So these are the models I've got finished so far. The first is a Rathalos inspired Saurus Brave/Warrior, who I will be using for both Mordheim and Warcry. This guy's actually the first Seraphon model I finished, and I believe might even be roughly my third ever completed model, since starting the hobby.
    20210102_173002.jpg

Here's a Yian Kut-Ku Skink Priest. Another Mordheim warband member.
    20210102_172524.jpg

These three are my Velociprey Skinks, also for Mordheim. The brighter, crested Skink is based off of Velocidrome, the alpha of a Velociprey pack.
    20210306_194852.jpg

This is probably the model I'm most proud of so far. My Tigrex Carnosaur. Just waiting on some Mechanicus Grey for the Oldblood's seat and and can put them all together!
    20210210_215515.jpg

Lemme know what you guys think!

3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Aha, I didn't know about the game series, only the recently released movie.

as said in your Introduction thread I like your painting. Love the carnosaur.
    Great detail on the eyes of your skinks btw :artist:

Keep up the good work

Grrr, Imrahil

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  4. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Thanks again!

there are loads of cool colour schemes in Monster Hunter that I want to try and adapt for my models, so I'm really excited to crack on with my army!

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  5. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I think the paint jobs are great, mate. I love the beak effect on the Skinks.

Crusty Sosig and Imrahil like this.
  6. Explodingzeb
    Bastiladon

Explodingzeb Well-Known Member

These look excellent! I'm a huge MonHun fan and it's great to see the colour schemes realised on minis like you have. I think I might have seen your Tigrex Carno on Instagram.

Can't wait to see more :)

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  7. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

I'll be honest, they nearly didn't end up with beaks as I didn't know if they'd work. I'm glad I went with them in the end. They contrast really well with the blue scales.

Thanks so much, always good to see another MonHun fan by the way! I did indeed post my Carno on Instagram a while back, and i've got another two ready to paint/build at some point. I can't wait to get more of these guys done, I'm just having too much fun painting them!

8. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

So I just thought I'd make a list of what I need to paint, both to give some ideas of what's coming, and to give me something to help me keep track of what I need to do.

I'm gonna split everything up into their respective game/warband:

Mordheim
    • Skink Priest - Done!
    • x2 Skink Great Crests
    • Saurus Totem Warrior
    • x2 Saurus Braves - 1 Done!
    • x3 Skink Braves - Done!
    Warcry
    • Saurus Guard Alpha
    • x2 Saurus Guard
    • x3 Saurus Warrior - 1 Done!
    • x4 Skinks
    Underworlds (Yes, I preordered them. Yes, I'm mad hyped for them)
    • Kixi-Taka (Skink Priest)
    • Klaq-Trok (Saurus Oldblood)
    • Huachi (Skink Alpha)
    • Xepic (Skink Hunter)
    • Tok (Skink Hunter)
    • Otapatl (Chameleon Skink)
    AoS (The big one!)
    • Olblood on Carnosaur - Carnosaur Done!
    • Lord Kroak
    • Engine of the Gods
    • Skink Starpriest
    • Stegadon
    • Bastiladon
    • x3 Kroxigors
    • x20 Skinks
    This is just for my lists, I have loads of other miscellaneous bits that I want to work on too, such as more Carnosaurs, a Troglodon, even a Dread Saurian conversion somewhere down the line.

9. Imrahil
    Slann

Much to look forward to.
    Good luck with all the work ;)

For motivational purposes we have a thread to share what you will commit to in a month time and share how far you have come.

Grrr, Imrahil

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  10. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Ooh thanks Imrahil, I'll definitely check out that thread!

Imrahil likes this.
  11. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Really like how you painted that red saurus!

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  12. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Alright, so my Totem Warrior is just about sculpted now. Maybe just a little bit of filing here and there, but I feel pretty good about the results.

20210330_202720.jpg 20210330_202710.jpg

Not bad for a first attempt with milliput and green stuff, if I do say so myself! Surprisingly not as difficult to work with as I thought. Next time I need to pay a little more attention to where my clumsy fingers go, so they don't ruin any sculpted details, meaning I have to back and redo them!

13. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Well it's been a while. Over two years even, since I last posted on here! I'm dusting the old blog off and I'll drop a few updates.

So a big update on the Toten Warrior. He's done!

20210602_211743.jpg

I whacked on a nice and simple green scheme inspired by Deviljho. I think outside of Mordheim he'll make an awesome Oldblood on foot!

Next are these two conversions I was super happy with!

20210616_220805.jpg

These are my Skink Braves, based on Cha Cha and Kayamba, two Shakalaka companion characters from Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. I had a blast translating the mask designs from the game over onto the models.

20210616_221236.jpg

And here we are! The full squad painted up and ready for Mordheim shenanigans. I've already played a few games with them, which were really fun to play! Unfortunately my Totem Warrior took a dive off the table after one of my friends knocked him, but I was able to salvage him, albeit with some minor battle damage to his crest.

More recently however, I've been deep in the new army box that came out recently. I think it goes without saying, but our guys got the glow up of the century! I've already got half of a Saurus squad finished, and I'm getting underway with the second half.

20230624_191135.jpg

These guys have made me fall in love with contrast paints. Slap on some Flesh Tearers Red, finished off with a quick drybrush of Evil Sunz Scarlet and you're done with scales, leaving you more time to work on other details!

So that's where I'm up to with my lizards so far. It feels good going back to them after working on a few other armies for Kill Team and Horus Heresy. The new Seraphon models have made me fall back in love with the painting after having a bit of a hobby burnout, and life getting in the way, so I'm gonna try and post some more regular updates on here again, to keep on that Sigmar grindset!

14. JTSleep
    Carnasaur

JTSleep Well-Known Member

Great work on Totem warrior, I love the idea of those converted skinks and love the paint scheme on those warriors.

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  15. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Thank you so much bud. The two skinks need to be included in a list somehow, maybe as a Starpriest cos I don't have one painted At the moment. I'm really happy with my Saurus Warriors. They're easy, good looking models that'll fill out the bulk of my current list that I want to do for AOS, besides the big monster units!

JTSleep likes this.
  16. jinjerJosh22
    Kroxigor

jinjerJosh22 Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to end up being a pickle :D

Super cool colour themes and really well done. I remember seeing somewhat recently painting a colour scheme like a Tetsucabra.
    Love Monster Hunter one of my all time favourites along with the Souls series I've put more hours in than i care to share ;)

Crusty Sosig likes this.
  17. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Thanks so much! I call it a happy accident, because admittedly I was a little too liberal with the amount of sculpting material added to the tail. However it makes perfect sense once you slap a Deviljho colour scheme on him! I'm exactly the same when it comes to how much time I've invested in Monster Hunter, we're probably talking months at this point! Funnily enough I was planning on painting my Slann after Tetsucabra, but the idea of doing a Paratoad Slann might be to funny to pass up.

jinjerJosh22 likes this.
  18. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Alright a little update on my Scar-Vet on Aggradon. I've decided to spice him up a little by chopping off the speartip and replacing it with a spare halberd blade. I think that'll make him stand out a bit more from his fellow riders!

-d107ds.jpg

19. Crusty Sosig
    Skink

Crusty Sosig Member

Thought I'd put work on the Saurus on hold and have a go with airbrushing the Aggradon for my Scar-vet.

20230715_183251.jpg

And here he is after a quick wash with some Druchii Violet.

20230715_202543.jpg
    20230715_202553.jpg

There has been a casualty however. As I turned him around to apply the wash to his other side, his tail struck the pot of Druchii Violet. Those of you who've knocked over washes can guess the next part...

20230715_202612.jpg

20. Imrahil
    Slann

The Aggradon looks good. It is a shame about the shade.
    Last time it happened to me I had a plastic syringe lying around, that prevented me from wasting most of the spillage.

Grrr, !mrahil

jinjerJosh22 and Crusty Sosig like this.