[MESBG] The Road Goes Ever On and On 2024 Reveals

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Imrahil, May 22, 2024.

1. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Since this march the MESBG posts at Warhammer Community have been accompanied by a rumour image. As I am very much into MESBG I would like to share the reveals and the suspense with you all ;)

Grrr, !mrahil

JTSleep likes this.
  2. Imrahil
    Slann

Pending Rumour images

13 June:
    24-06-13 Ru.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024 at 4:11 PM
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Solved Rumour images:

14 March:
    24-03-14 Ru.jpg 24-03-14 So.jpg

11 April:
    24-04-11 Ru.jpg 24-04-11 So.jpg

16 May:
    24-05-16 Ru.jpg 24-05-16 So.jpg

Last edited: Jun 13, 2024 at 4:12 PM
  4. Imrahil
    Slann

Solved Rumour images part 2:

5. Imrahil
    Slann

I am not sure how long they will run these Rumour images or that it will just be until the release of these new boxes

Grrr, !mrahil

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That banner definitely looks Arnorian as well, though it is tattered so perhaps it's something Angmar-related, standing on a torn Arnor banner, instead?

Imrahil likes this.
  7. Imrahil
    Slann

The solution of the last rumour came today:

24-05-16 So.jpg

You were not far off ;) Indeed an Angmar orc captain with a torn banner, he is a scavenger with a neat new special rule:

24-05-16 So(2).jpg

Grrr, !mrahil

8. Imrahil
    Slann

Also a new rumour has been given:

24-06-13 Ru.jpg

Interesting rumour, I think I see a heavy armoured knight or hero (King Arvedui?) on horse

Grrr, !mrahil

9. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Completely missed the article that announced this one and had to look it up... good to see Arnor get a new special character, they were in need of those alongside additional units.

He certainly looks a fun character to use, though perhaps best paired up with the Witch King so that the Witch King can do most of the damage and give Nazthak the chance to take the last wound off their opponent and help himself to his pick of the character's weapons.

Looking at Arvedui's original model, I can't see any shield on him for this teaser to replicate, and his cloak is fur-lined as befits his royalty, whereas that worn by the teased model is not:
    [​IMG]

So I would think the teased model is either a Knight captain on horse, one of an elite Knight unit (foot or mounted) or another named character, any of which Arnor would benefit a lot from.

Though I'm more a Dwarf and Elf fan, I'm actually really enjoying seeing Arnor and Angmar get some love (even if it's only Forge World love :shifty:). They're two certainly underdeveloped factions from a forgotten segment of Third Age history, long before the Hobbit or the Lord of the Rings films take place, that can synergise well with the factions I collect (Khazad Dum fell to the Balrog around the same time Arnor broke up and fell to Angmar piece by piece, and Rivendell didn't go anywhere throughout the Third Age, so if I fielded my Dwarves as Durin-era Khazad Dum Dwarves they and my small contingent of High Elves would be worthy allies to an Arnor force, and there's no reason why the Goblins of Moria and the Misty Mountains wouldn't serve as auxiliaries to the Witch King's legions of Angmar).

What's even more interesting is how, contrary to the way GW present it, Arnor had split into three smaller kingdoms prior to its fall - Arthedain (which would be represented by the GW models), Cardolan and Rhudaur, the latter ultimately becoming a pawn of Angmar (and is an extra potential source of new Angmar models, wink wink nudge nudge GW). This chap has made a great video charting his attempts at converting models from the three kingdoms out of a variety of plastic historicals:

Personally I wouldn't have gone with a Late Roman feel for Arthedain or Cardolan myself, because though it synergises with Arnor well it doesn't fit the film aesthetic of Gondor, with whom Arnor shares a common lineage, or the Numenoreans, from whom both Gondor and Arnor descend (though I know he's moving away from the films for a more book-inspired aesthetic and feel, which is admittedly more imaginative). I've had an eye on the Perry Hundred Years' War models myself as the basis for an Arnor army were I ever to get into one, supplemented by Arnorian heads from Unreleased Miniatures: https://unreleasedminiatures.eu/bitz/229-northern-realms-head-set.html

And shields from Hammerin miniatures: https://hammerin-miniatures.com/our-products/high_kingdom/high_kingdom_warriors_shields_bits-detail

Last edited: Jun 14, 2024 at 9:36 AM
    Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.