8th Ed. Metal vs. Khaeleth Question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by E_Ran358, Aug 9, 2012.

1. E_Ran358
    Skink

E_Ran358 New Member

Hi there!

So, my friend plays DE's and he has just started to play with the "unkillable" build (1+ save, pendant of khaeleth, ect.). I have yet to play against it but I have to admit I was a little worried...

For people who don't know what the pendant is, according to the DE book it gives a ward save passed upon the strength of the hit. Roll D6 for every wound suffered on the wearer, on a rule equal to or under the attacks strength, the hit is ignored. Roles of 6 always fail. So when you use a high strength to get passed the 1+ armor save the bearer gets a crazy good ward save.

So, I began my quest to find it's weakness, and this is what I came up with...

-The Lore of Metal
    In the lore attribute it says that the spells in the lore of metal do not use strength, instead they wound on the targets armor save, AND there are no armor saves permitted. So my question is if I take Metal for my slann would he not get the ward save as well as the armor save?

(same question goes for death magic as well because it doesn't have a set strength)

Thanks a ton!

2. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

this is very standard tbh. yes, lore of metal is awesome against PoK since it has no S and totally negates the pendants effect. However, since ppl discovered this weakness, most Druchii players have started to kit out their dreadlord with dragonhelm, so they still retain a 2+ ward against lore of metal.

Lore of death works even better. it has no strength, so the pendant wont work, and there is not equivalent to the dragonhelm to same them. This is probably the most glaring weakness of the "unkillable" dreadlord.

3. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Yes, the unkillable dreadlord, aka "Chuck Norris" is a royal pain in the butt. I would tend to agree with LT that lore of death is a better counter since it precludes saves and the lore overall is much more useful than metal. Another alternative if you want to stick with light or life is to pin him in place with a skrox unit and then give them the occasional buff or regen lost models. Declare a challenge with the champ on the first round of combat and then you can just keep making him do break tests the rest of the game from static res.

4. E_Ran358
    Skink

E_Ran358 New Member

The reason I wanted Metal is because he takes a big 'ol unit of cold one riders. But, Death will work great too! And as for the Scrox unit, I like the idea I just don't have the models but I guess it could work with different units too, because I really do like my lore of light.

Also another reason I went with metal was because his dreadlord can fly so that can help him stay away from my short ranged direct damage death magic, but with metal I can easily channel through a skink priest effectively doubling the range of searing doom because it is a magic missile.

But I do see your point because this is all basically useless if he takes the dragonhelm.

anyways,

thanks again!

5. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

6. E_Ran358
    Skink

E_Ran358 New Member

Alright will do!
    Also I have another minor question, for Cupped Hands of the Old Ones, when my slann gives the miscast to his wizard and he rolls something that contains "and D6 dice are lost from the power pool" does my Slann lose D6 dice but his wizard suffer the other effects.

My friend says that because HE doesn't have a power pool, it must be MY power pool that loses the dice. This is because it says "D6 from THE power pool" in the miscast table.

I know that Cupped Hands says that the miscast is ignored and that if his wizard is within 24 in. he will suffer it's effects. But he disagrees...

Kinda need some backup here because he's being a rules lawyer and refuses to listen to my voice of reason haha, so who is right?????

Thanks!

7. superskora
    Jungle Swarm

superskora New Member

Your friend is right. The dice are removed from the power pool. It is clarified in LM errata.

Cheers!

8. E_Ran358
    Skink

E_Ran358 New Member

Oh no!!!

He was right : ( I guess I need to apologize...

I really thought I had him there. I guess that was GW's way of making Cupped Hands slightly more reasonable, because it was a tad bit overpowered before, however it is still very strong for sure!

Thanks for clearing that one up!

9. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

Cupped hands is not overpowered :rolleyes: . It's especially not overpowered when it's only usable by a 450 point infantry model that can only cast magic and therefore has a good chance of blowing itself up.

10. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

i guess the point is that you blow SOME ONE ELSE up when you cast spells if you use the cupped hands ;)

11. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,

One more thing about the dreadlord with the PoK. He has LD 10 so the signature sniper from the lore of death won't be so effective, and he is Str 4 so the number 2 spell will need some back up , from the soulblight spell:)
    I personally like to cast Doom and Darkness on him and watch him getting that stubbon rolls:)
    But latley when I played on a tournament i had a lore of Heavens Slann and just spammed him with D6 str 4 hits, Signature, Windblast, thunderbolt etc. My opponet usually throw most DD on the Commet, and he had only a lvl 2 mage, but with the +1 DD talisman. But my Magic rolls were awesome....