TOW MOAB Event List- 2250, updated

Discussion in 'Lizardmen Army Lists' started by Gothmog Lord of Balrogs, Aug 25, 2024.

1. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Gothmog Lord of Balrogs Active Member

So I am down to this I believe. Final cuts because of what I have to paint and and I don't want to buy more models right now (Blood Angels set me back)

The debate I have is with Warbanner on the Skink Chief. Seems really nice for some static combat resolution

But I can drop it and do one of 2 things
    1- take a Ruby Ring of Ruin instead
    2- Upgrade my Rare Stegadon to an ancient steg. Also would have 10 point to spare for anything else.

Not sure what would be better over all for the list.

Also debating switching the saurus from Spears to Hand Weapons (then filling in points with a few skinks and a Patrol leader)

===
    MOAB Lizards [2250 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [1093 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest [375 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - General
    - Lore Familiar
    - Higher State Of Mind
    - Battle Magic

Saurus Oldblood [405 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Heavy armour (Scaly skin)
    - Carnosaur
    - Ogre Blade
    - Talisman of Protection

Skink Chief [313 pts]
    - Additional hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner]
    - Stegadon [Giant bow]

++ Core Units [564 pts] ++

18 Saurus Warriors [309 pts]
    - Thrusting spears
    - Shields
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion)
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

12 Skink Skirmishers [70 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Light armour (Calloused hides)
    - Vanguard
    - Patrol Leader (champion)

12 Skink Skirmishers [65 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Vanguard

12 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Blowpipes

++ Special Units [378 pts] ++

Bastiladon [175 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Thunderous bludgeon
    - Solar Engine

4 Kroxigors [203 pts]
    - Great weapons
    - Ancient (champion)

++ Rare Units [215 pts] ++

Stegadon [215 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Great horns
    - Giant bow

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

2. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

Don't take a champion for your Kroxigor. You risk getting into combat with something big and being issued a challenge.

You three options regarding the warbanner, RRoR or ancient stegadon are all reasonable options. I think probably the warbanner is the pick but its a tough one.

Blowpipes are flat out bad, in my opinion. Best bet is to try to get charged by something. :)

3. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Minor Tweaks
    -Dropped Krox Ancient
    -Dropped Thrusting Spears on Suarus
    -Added Biting Blade and Charmed Shield to Saurus Champ
    -Added a 4th skink to the bastilladon

===
    MOAB Lizards [2250 pts]
    Warhammer: The Old World, Lizardmen
    ===

++ Characters [1093 pts] ++

Slann Mage-Priest [375 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - General
    - Lore Familiar
    - Higher State Of Mind
    - Battle Magic

Saurus Oldblood [405 pts]
    - Hand weapon
    - Carnosaur
    - Ogre Blade
    - Talisman of Protection

Skink Chief [313 pts]
    - Additional hand weapon
    - Light armour (Calloused hide)
    - Battle Standard Bearer [War Banner]
    - Stegadon [Giant bow]

++ Core Units [566 pts] ++

18 Saurus Warriors [311 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Shields
    - Shieldwall
    - Spawn Leader (champion) [Biting Blade + Charmed Shield]
    - Standard bearer
    - Musician

12 Skink Skirmishers [70 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Vanguard
    - Patrol Leader (champion)

12 Skink Skirmishers [65 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields
    - Vanguard

12 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Shields

10 Skink Skirmishers [60 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Blowpipes

++ Special Units [376 pts] ++

Bastiladon [180 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Thunderous bludgeon
    - Solar Engine
    - Fourth Skink crew member

4 Kroxigors [196 pts]
    - Great weapons

++ Rare Units [215 pts] ++

Stegadon [215 pts]
    - Hand weapons
    - Javelins
    - Great horns
    - Giant bow

---
    Created with "Old World Builder"

4. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

Any particular rationale for this?
    I think the Biting blade would be good on the Skink BSB. With a magic sword you can give him the Javelin too, with Bs5 S4 I think its good value for 3 points, and he's got WS4, S4, A3 so can get value from the Biting Blade's AP in battle (and does not get obsidian blades).

Also, would the 5 points for the Charmed Shield be better off upgrading one of the skinks to Scouts?

5. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

RRoR is best on a character who is going to stay away from the main action. If you plan to use the Skink Chief on the flanks, so he's often outside the opponent's dispel range then it may be more useful than the War Banner. If I were playing against you I'd probably try to feed the Chief chaff, and the RRoR lets you clear it away. The 360 firing arc makes it very useful on him.
    If you are charging up the middle the RRoR will get dispelled more often than not, so you'll get more value from the War Banner (and you can take the Biting Blade then too!)

6. discomute
    Troglodon

discomute Well-Known Member

I see no reason to put 20 points on a champion, with just a single wound, low initiative and one unlikely to charge. I'd take spears for the unit over that, easy

7. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Don't have points really to do it with the Skink chief. I am 4 points over the min for core, so can't shed anything there. If I ditch the wargear, I just have to take other things to up the points. My Rare is min costed steg, so nothing to lose without losing the unit. Special I can lose 5 points from the Bastiladon at most with the 4th skink. Don't want to lose a whole Krox for those weapons on the chief. Just basically no way to get 15 points to do it without just completely dropping special and rare units, or other wargear in my lords and heroes.

Essentially I saw those upgrades more useful than some more blowpipe skinks, and I didn't want to run spears, so the wargear took me over the min.

I was inspired looking at the Lizardmen List in the 'Ard Boyz NOVA event coming up. Way I see it is its a nice little surprise if something ethereal charges, and a good way to win a challenge vs a champion, even for more elite units like Chosen Knights, Grail Knights, etc. Something that doesn't have particularly high T but possibly a high save.

But it was mostly about getting over the min core requirement. Understand spears can do the same, but I like obsidian blades more personally with the prevalence of Brettonians at events. And without magic that otherwise messes with Armour values, having a natural -1 I think will just be more useful over all.

As for Scouts vs Vanaguard on the skinks, I just find I goon up scout deployments way more than vanguard moves.

8. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

Ah, the classic problem in most lists! You could swap the War Banner onto the Saurus and then put the Blade on the Skink, that would keep the points the same in each pot and, fingers crossed, the slightly higher damage output would compensate for the reduction in static CR.

I'm finding that having a single unit of scouts can be quite useful as your opponent tries to ensure there are no gaps in their deployment zone, potentially leading to sub-optimal placement, and if they don't leave any gaps you can be 12" from their deployment zone, when the closest you can get with Vanguard is 18". Against many armies it really makes very little difference, but against Armies with their own scouts and/or running a gunline it can be very useful.

I'd put this 5 points into the skink skirmishers anyway. I'm assuming you'll be sitting outside of dispel range and using the Beam of Chotec as artillery. In that case your crew wont get as much action as the skirmishers.

9. Gothmog Lord of Balrogs
    Chameleon Skink

Unfortunatly Saurus Warriors can't take magic banners. Just Temple Guard. Otherwise it would live there.

The Bastiladon likely will close for the +1 init he provides and sturdiness. Plus great flank protection. Beam is just nice to get off. Extra Skink there was for some added poison attacks with a Javelin on something that won't blow over to a stiff breeze.

I also only own 36 Javelin and shield skinks and would have to proxy one to add another there.

I'll try a to get a test with one scout and one Vanguard. What you say is good logic. I just somehow always goon up scout in GW games.

10. DoubleSkulls
    Skink

DoubleSkulls Member

Doh! I hadn't spotted that Saurus aren't allowed a magic banner. Are they are the most egregious core tax in the game? I wouldn't take any from choice, and I'm running just 10 of them with no upgrades. It may be their best configuration, because I don't expect anything from them! I better stop there as otherwise I'll just rant about how restrictive the Lizard list is compared to almost everyone else.