8th Ed. Monster and Handlers Overkill

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by newlmplayer, Aug 1, 2013.

1. newlmplayer
    Skink

newlmplayer New Member

Hi, lets say you have a unit of salamanders with 1 skink handler left. According to the rules when that salamanders takes an unsaved wound you roll and on a 5+ a handler is removed. What do you do in an instant where more than 1 wound is allocated to the handlers however there is only 1 handler left, do the extra wounds allocated to the handlers go back onto the salamander? Thanks.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That would be something that I would talk with my opponent about before a game actually. I would say that when you get down to those wounds, your opponent needs to roll them one at a time so that it can be worked out. However, if he throws a ton at it and the handlers are gone, then it is sensible that the sallie take the wound.

3. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Offhand I'd say play it that any extra 5+ are wasted. Think of it as more than one enemy model/attack being directed at a single skink and subsequently it gets ganked. This doesn't magically make those swords that stabbed a freshly dead skink go into the sallie instead.

4. Darius the Insane
    Skink

Darius the Insane New Member

Agreed. If he rolls a 5-6 it's on the handler regardless of how many you have left. Simple as that.

5. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

The other way to look at it is when the last handler is dead, you no longer have handlers to jump in front and take the sword to the chest.

I've always played it where I roll the saves one at a time until the handlers are gone, then remaining hits go on the sally (cause I know you're not talking about razordons).
    It's the same way we play the wood elf, 3+ ward that you lose once you fail it once. Sequence matters.

-Matt

6. Darius the Insane
    Skink

Darius the Insane New Member

After a quick re read, I think you could be right, sequence matters. However if you opponent throws all the dice at the same time and comes up with 2 5's and a 6 for example and there's only 1 skink left to kill then those are wasted and he can't re roll them to try and wound the sallie. However if he rolls them individually from the start and kills the skink he could then move on to the sallie

7. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

You need to think of the Handlers as a 3-use ward save. Once 3 wounds (or 4 if you bought an extra handler) have been allocated on the Handlers, the rest go to the Salamander.

You can't just discount wounds like that, regardless if your opponent rolls them all at once. Even if your Salamander suffered 18 wounds and your opponent rolled all 6's when allocating, it would still kill 3 handlers then the Salamander.

Wounds are wounds.