8th Ed. Monsters and handlers.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by VampTeddy, Dec 9, 2013.

1. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

So i tripped over something confusing.

The Army book state that Razordons and Salamanders are bought in packs of 1 beast and 3 handlers - with option of buying extra per pack.

Now this distinguishes each model in the unit to be a pack.

The monster and handlers rule goes for single models.

Now, the question - If i take fire on my razordon unit of 3 razordons, i have to take wounds on that razordon first. As far as i understand, i will be taking the wound on that pack - thus only having access to that beasts 3 (or 4) skinks - once they go, i need to take a monster reaction test, and it is stated in our armybook that i will then have to take a test for the entire unit.

Is this correctly understood? - i can't see any notion of sharing the handlers, or taking wounds in a new way. The packs are clearly distuingished in our book when we select the unit, and we are asked by our rules to treat our beasts as monsters and handler, which carries no clarification whatsoever as to whether they have a shared pool of handlers.

2. godswearhats
    Saurus

godswearhats New Member

The Hunting Pack rule applies to whole unit of packs (as detailed under the "Hunting Pack" special rule on p46 of the Lizardmen book). This means that all handlers are "shared" across the unit of packs. The notion of a "pack" is there to allow / restrict the number of total handlers per unit.

This means that if you have 4 razordons and 16 handlers, you don't take a monster reaction test until all 16 handlers are dead. It also means that on a misfire, your razordon will eat handlers in another pack if he's already eaten all his own!

Hope this helps,
    ~gwh

3. Noveltyboy
    Skink

Noveltyboy New Member

Yeah this is correct. Its a silly brb rule as they have phased out handlers on big monsters making our packs one of the most common to use this rule and even then with differences. If anyone argues though ask them to explain how your meant to determine which handler belongs to which beast.

4. VampTeddy
    Terradon

VampTeddy Active Member

I hadn't put enough thought into the 2 first lines - Thanks a lot! Razordon's gonna get fielded soon then! :D