8th Ed. Moving characters while in combat.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by caldt, Jun 4, 2012.

1. caldt
    Skink

caldt New Member

This isn't strictly a lizardmen rule, but I wanted some clarification.

My friend today had a lord in the centre of a rank of 5, so taking up the 3rd place, while I had a scar vet opposite him in combat.
    The scar vet took him down to one wound, but he still won the combat, and said he would like to reform.
    The reform was to simply switch the rank and file troop on the edge of the rank with the lord, to have him out of base contact with my scar vet.

Is this allowed? I thought it felt conceptually very wrong, but couldn't find anywhere in the rule book to prove him wrong.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I do not think its against the rules to do that, but you could always move your scarvet to that character at the begining of your combat phase and you will be able to hit him for at least one turn before he moves him again. Also, I am assuming that the scar vet would be better used by directing those attacks into the unit, not the character.

3. caldt
    Skink

caldt New Member

How can I move the scar vet though? Can you just move them around at the beginning of combat?

It was a dwarf runelord, on only 1 wound left, which was shutting down my magic, so killing him would have been pretty cool.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

If the dwarf lord was on the stone thing, I do not think he could move him. As for reforming, you can reform just as he did. Since the scar-vet was not in a challenge with the lord, you just move him over there. The rule is the make way rule in the big rule book.

5. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

you cant make combat reform with single character. he cant "slide".

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Using the make way rule, you can position him anywhere in the front rank though. As long as he is not in a challenge. For example, Ogre characters move from the back rank into the front rank when in combat.

He could also reform the saurus unit to be wider/smaller than the dwarves and reposition his scar-vet then as well.

7. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

you can only "make way" if character is not b2b with enemy. And I understood that Scar Vet was on his own? If he was in saurus warriors then you can combat reform so that you end up being b2b contact with runelord with ur scar vet

8. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Make way can only be used to get characters that are not in b2b combat into combat.

EDIT-Someone already said it.

9. caldt
    Skink

caldt New Member

The scar vet was in a unit of saurus, the runelord in a unit of warriors.

Originally both of the characters were in the centre of the front rank.
    The scar vet directed attacks to the runelord, took him down to 1 wound.
    Dwarves won combat overall, so he did a reform, where the only move was basically to swap the runelord with another dwarf in the front rank, so he was only in base contact with saurus, not the scar vet.

Is that allowed, and does it just mean that I could have also done a reform (after a ld test) and moved my scar vet in front of him again? Which would make the whole thing pointless unless I fail the LD test?

10. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

If you both want to make combat reform, you roll dice, winner decides who goes first. so if dwarf player won the roll of, he could say you go first and after that move runelord away from ur scar vet

11. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

That and the loosing side must pass a test to reform.

12. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

Why not just challenge the runelord? You don't have to be in base2base to do that.

I have a question relevant to this!

Can a lone character join a unit that is in combat?

13. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

You could declare a challenge but he'd just throw the champ to his death.

Pg. 97 "What unit can i join" last sentence:
    "A character cannot join a unit that is already engaged in close combat or is fleeing."