8th Ed. Multiple Salamanders in a unit

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Slaantastic, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Slaantastic
    Skink

Slaantastic New Member

How do you resolve shooting with multiple salamanders in a unit? I assume that they all must shoot at the same target? Do they shoot at the exact same time or one after the other. It is in our best interest for them to shoot simultaneously because if you remove casualties from the first shot, then the second template will naturally score less hits on the unit... but what is the appropriate way to do it?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

For simplicitys sake I usaly resolve one shot at a time, all at the same target.

3. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I don't understand why people put salamanders into the same unit at all. Then you would have to keep them half an inch apart at all times. Seems that would really limit their flexibility as shooters.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Personaly I run Big Salamander units for the shared handlers and extra hits when they inevatibly bet into close combat.

5. Slaantastic
    Skink

Slaantastic New Member

I run em in 2 units of 2 when I'm playing less than a 3000 point battle simply because you cannot bring more than 2 of the same rare choice (which means I can't bring 3 or 4 solo). Otherwise, I do prefer to keep them solo just because for 75 points they are amazing and if the enemy wants to devote their attention to killing 75 points... be my guest.

n8 I understand that's the way you resolve it but I'm asking what would be the correct way according to the rules? Simultaneous seems to be what the rules indicate.... Again, this maximizes your hits and, as such, your wounds.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

In the Lizardmen rulebook it says that you should resovle each salamander before moving on to the next.

As far as running them, I run 2 units of 2 most often.

7. SlannRordrin
    Skink

SlannRordrin New Member

What happens if there is a misfire on the first salamander in a unit of two (after d3 skinks are eaten)? Is that unit done shooting like what would happen to a warmachine, or do you move to the next one as if there was never a misfire?

My interpretation is that the second salamander can shoot as normal b/c the rule on pg 56 of LM book says that the "salamander does not fire this phase" and does not say instead "unit does not fire."

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Thats been a bit of a talking point for a while actually. Its generally accepted that misfire only affects that specific salamander, not the whole unit, but a rules lawyering opponent could certainly try to argue against it. I don't think there has been an official ruling.

And yes the advantage of a unit of 2 salamanders is 5 skinks die, leaving 1, you still have two sallies able to shoot in full. Seperate, if 3 skinks die the salamander faces monster reaction.

9. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

No, they are treated individually for sake of misfire's. So if one misfires, the other may still shoot. The primary benefit of having salamanders group up is so they may enjoy the benefit of using more handlers.

10. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The general rule for shooting is that an entire unit has to fire at the same target.

However, the rules for sallies is that they put their template down pointing in a direction within their forward arc and ping it an artillery die along that line. I.e. they don't shoot at units, they ping templates in any direction they choose within arc, any hits are resolved, then the next sallie picks a direction and pings its template.

It is gamesmanship to deliberately aim at/through your own troops or at multiple units with the same unit of sallies. It is a matter of ettiquette and standards of sportsmanship in your area whether you get called for it.

I generally go for the same unit unless in exceptional circumstances, i.e. unit wiped out or a "gloves off" game, where the agreed ettiquette is sneakier the better (but in those matches the winner is agreed as who had the newest dirtiest trick (old dirty tricks especially ones that don't require any complex arranging lose points!), not who actually won the game.