1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need help trimming resin Kroxigor off of sprue

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Titans, Apr 23, 2021.

1. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

Bought my first resin models (eternity warden and 3 kroxigor) and really struggling with getting them off of their sprues. In particular the resin bits that are connected to the model in between scales between the ridge plates on the back.

Attached Files:

emptyscale, Imrahil and Erta Wanderer like this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

yeah that is one of the 2 big problems with the krox models. it took me a good 2 hours to clean mine up using a exacto knife and clippers

Titans and emptyscale like this.
  3. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

I haven't done the resin kroxs, but I have had minis like that. I'd suggest using a craft knife to cut it away, but do it in stages like you were slowly peeling butter out of the pot, taking it a sliver at a time so that the angle isn't too steep. It should make it less likely that you'll gouge into the model and as you cut away the more accessible parts you'll be able to angle the next cut more favorably.

What is the second big problem with the kit, Erta?

Titans and Erta Wanderer like this.
  4. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

the arms.... oh god the arms. ok so the arms don't fit, they are connected in the midle and when you put one side on the other is about half a inch off. the best way to fix this is to turn your sink on as hot as is will go and then dry fit the arms while holding the haft of the weapon under to melt it.

Titans and emptyscale like this.
  5. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

I would have guessed the legs - the way they look are like skinny folded up frog legs... on the largest unit model in the range

emptyscale and Erta Wanderer like this.
  6. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

they do look wonky but they aren't a modeling problem

Titans likes this.
  7. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

Aha yeah the legs are more an aesthetic criticism. Have gotten everything off the sprues but still will probably be another hour trying to file down the sprue lines on the backs. Also im worried af about trimming too much off of the spikes on the round weapon - the excess mould lines are so thick that if I trim them off the spikes would be disproportionately small :(

8. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

Must be a finecast issue, because I don't remember having that issue with the three metal ones I have. The thing that bugs me about those is the weight from the heads of the weapon (which is a separate piece) being a bit too heavy for the joint and loving to break.

Some things definitely translated to Finecast from metal better than others. I liked being able to repose the Varghulf and Fiends of Slaanesh. Both of those kits also lost texture detail from the sprue connections at the top near their backs but in both cases it was fur so one of the easiest putty fixes. The first couple of Finecast models I got were Orks, so not that big a deal if they look scruffy and patched up but the crappy amount of little sprue waste all over them tricked me into cutting off the mad dok's syringe from the gun because it blended into the rest and it was hell trying to clear up the Big Mek's kustom force field washing line power cables.

I've got Arielle and her handmaiden too, which weren't even metal models to begin with and they still have a bunch of what you've got on that Kroxigor but really tiny and fairly unforgivable if you mess it up.

On the plus side for resin you can be more confident in exotic basing, flying black coach or mag-lev slann, Putting your Krox on a scenic base without the weigh of the metal trying to tear it off, and with a Krox you can always paint scuff marks in the scales and skin as recent cuts and scars since they are wicked fighty construction workers.

Erta Wanderer and Titans like this.
  9. Titans
    Skink

Titans Member

There's been quite a bit of this - I spent ages on google trying to find pictures of the krox from all different angles and every direction etc. One example is the cords wrapped around the arms of one of them - there was residue attached to every part of it, often at intersecting angles, so I basically had to guess where the cord supposedly ended and the sprue began.

The eternity warden sprue was warped and a bit brittle but was relatively drama free in comparison to the big boys!

10. emptyscale
    Saurus

emptyscale Active Member

Did you try looking for pictures of the metal versions. The flash would be less and in different places.

11. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

I find it okay to be rough with a lot of it as it just ends up looking like scales

12. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Hmm, that really sucks. I cannot understand how their internal quality control team could let those be released as finecast.
    I would have been quite annoyed personally if I had ordered one now and received something like that.

Titans likes this.