8th Ed. new charge target?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by theodoris, Oct 15, 2011.

1. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

sorry for my bad english,

This must sound stupit, but we didn`t know what to do.

I did an charge at a enemy unit and that unit did a flee.
    Right behind that unit was an other enemy unit 1" away, so i would bumb righht into that other unit.

now, what would happen?
    Do i hit the unit and does it cound as a new charge, or do i need to redirect my unit and take an LD test?
    I am going in a straight line at the other unit.
    And does he get to make an charge reaction?

2. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

My understanding of the rules is that if his other unit is directly behind the fleeing unit, that unit would need to do a panic test (unless imune to such psycology) and the fleeing unit would need to do a difficult terrain test as they should be running through your second unit..

Secondly, assuming that the second unit is still there, yes, you may redirect the charge at any unit within charging distance and in your LOS/front arc so yes, you can charge that unit as the fleeing unit should now be out of your way and you have visable LOS on the unit that was behind it. Or you may decide to not redirect and roll leadership instead to see if you can stay (but in this case, I dont' see why you would). That unit would then get a charge reaction as well.

- Lord Cedric

3. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

thanx for the input,

I think i wrote it wrong, i mean i charge his unit, and he had a unit of his 1" behind that unit, so he would be fleeing trough his own unit.

You need to take a LD test if you want to redirect(p18), and not if you want to stay( i know of no rules that say this).
    You can`t stay, no way (that only after a CC, not a charge)
    It`s a charge or a failed charge, please correct me if i`m wrong.

I`m pretty sure you alway`s need to take a LD test to redirect into a fresh unit, other wise you need to caught the unit and stop 1" away from the enemy unit.
    But i`m still not sure about this, so i woulld like to know if i`m correct.

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Nope. You're right. I wrote mine incorrectly thinking what you said.. but wrote it wrong for the leadership test. lol

So yes. When the fleeing unit is no longer blocking your LOS, you may redirect your charge into the unit that was behind the fleeing one by passing a leadership test. If you fail that leadership test, you must follow that fleeing unit. which would place you into another charge automatically against the 2nd unit (pg. 58 of BRB) in which case you do not need to roll charge and the only reaction that the unit gets is a HOLD as it would be an unexpected charge.

- Lord Cedric

5. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

thanx, needed that info :meh:

6. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Page 56 dosen't deal with fleeing charges it explains fleeing from a lost combat.

Ok lets see here, how things could go.
    A. You manage to redirect and charge the other unit, resolve charge end of story.
    B. You fail to redirect, you cannot reach the declared target and are forced to have a failed charge stopping at least 1" away from the other enemy unit. Remember you can only charge a unit by declaring a charge against it in the charge subphase, or overruning into it in the combat phase.

7. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Double posted

8. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

Yes, You are correct. That's why I said page 58 in the BRB. :smug:

- Lord Cedric

9. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

Which still deals with fleeing from combat.

10. theodoris
    Cold One

theodoris Member

I have to agree with Hoverboy

11. HoverBoy
    Ripperdactil

HoverBoy New Member

This came up on another forum a while back the guys there explained it better quotewise, but what i said sums it up.