1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New Lizard models previewed!

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by shattershell, Jan 27, 2023.

1. shattershell
    Saurus

shattershell Active Member

Hello everyone. What do you all think of these new models, in terms of using them for 6th/8th edition? There's many pictures of a new Slann, Skink cavalry, and Saurus on a new Warhammer Community article:

https://www.warhammer-community.com...n-starmaster-spawns-alongside-fresh-seraphon/

I'm most excited by the Saurus. I won't be using them for my big blocks of 30 (I've already painted my old models and am happy with them). But I'll definitely get some to convert into Scar-Veterans and Oldbloods!

Screenshot_20230127-230746~2.png

Screenshot_20230127-230805~2.png

Screenshot_20230127-230708~2.png

Screenshot_20230127-230639~2.png

I can't help but suspect this passage from the article might be a cryptic hint that these models are designed with The Old World compatibility in mind:

"Almost all Seraphon come in two varieties – the flesh-and-blood Coalesced, and phantasmal Starborne. These detail-packed miniatures look amazing when painted to represent either – that green Saurus Warrior also makes us feel very nostalgic…"

Or is that wishful thinking on my part? I'm curious to know how easily these hefty boyes will rank up.

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Because I can be lazy, I'll just quote what I said in the GW News thread in General Hobby Chat:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023
    hardyworld and shattershell like this.
  3. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

As I said in the General Hobby Chat thread, I want to convert some of the skink cavalry for use in 6th edition as Tich Huichi's Raiders or even "counts as" cold one cavalry. I'm still somewhat put off by the new Slann. Palanquin is ostentatious. The new Saurus look more like characters rather than rank and file troops. I also am unsure about how they would rank up.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I quite like all the models. I like the added detail to the Slann, although I prefer the current model's expression.
    The skink cavalry is interesting and I love raptors.
    The Saurus I love, now they look more like their artwork.

Regarding whether they will work well with 6th to 8th in rank and file units... who knows yet, but I for one will make it work and plan to sort of start a new lizardmen army with the upcoming models, I won't be using them as lizards I think, but by the old ones I will make them work, I like the Saurus too much not to.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  5. BigDinosaur
    Skink

BigDinosaur Active Member

These saurus will not be sold for TOW, they will probably make a separate line or continue producing the 6th edition ones.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I can't picture GW continuing to stock and sell the old Saurus once the new ones drop.

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Well they continue to stock the older plastic Ork Boyz kit for 40K (which debuted in 4th Edition 40K) alongside the monopose new box released in 2021, and many folk are glad they do, so anything could happen.

Imrahil and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fair enough. Strange times.

I do wonder how many of the old Saurus kits they would sell when they're contrasted by their newer and snazzier counterparts.

9. BigDinosaur
    Skink

About the saurus warriors, If you pay attention to the design, it tells the whole story really...

Oversized, overly dynamic poses and most importantly: straight tails floating mid-air...
    There is just no way you can rank them for fantasy/TOW, even with the circular movement trays. And even if you do, you would be at a strategical disadvantage by having large units for movement and combat against an oponent playing more optimally sized units with more density of models.

Also the poses are just not designed for a rank and file game, but to be moved and displayed as single miniatures.

The style of the miniatures also doesn't fit with what fantasy or old world players are expecting... the over the top anime-like ridiculous designs belong to AoS with a customer base who is demanding that.

Lizardmen are not even going to be a priority for the old world... if we see new old world models for lizardmen we will have to wait for at least a couple years.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I noticed that as well. Those straight tails will make ranking up models extremely difficult, if not outright impossible. The weapons are a problem too as they stick out well beyond the boundaries of a normal sized base.

I'm sure someone will find a way to Tetris them into a rank-and-file unit, but will it be worth the effort? And will it look good?

Aesthetically I really like the designs, and there are few more diehard WHFB guys on this forum than me (you too @Lizards of Renown , we're not forgetting you). I think they are a huge improvement over their predecessors. The only thing I'm not a fan of are their shields.

Imrahil likes this.
  11. BigDinosaur
    Skink

Yes I agree, shields are too over the top, but the poses just dont work. The design reminds me of the carnosaur rider.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I guess to each their own. I like them, but as they won't rank up, it's a moot point.

hardyworld and Imrahil like this.
  13. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

I am not quite sure if i agree on this. These are AoS models, so they are supposed to be looked towards for AoS usability. I agree they do not work rank and file, but they were never supposed to, so i do not think that really says much to GW's disposition towards LM being in TOW? I mean, you also do not look towards the League of Votann models (the new Dwarves in 40K) to see how GW looks towards the TOW Dwarves right?

I must say i kinda like them, esp the Skink next to the Slann, and the Saurus banging on the drum looks like he is having a good time. They will not work rank and file though, so i probably won't get these guys. Maybe the Slann, would he work on the old base for the few times a year i get to play 8th?

BigDinosaur likes this.
  14. Krox_v.2
    Razordon

Krox_v.2 Well-Known Member

I have heard rumors saying that GW might be producing kits with an eye towards AOS and Warhammer: TOW cross compatibility.

airjamy likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That would make sense. Two consumer bases to sell the same model.

16. Karnus
    Ripperdactil

Karnus Well-Known Member

yeeeeaaahhhhh they will, I reckon there’s enough space between the chest/legs of the model behind to fit the tail. Bit like the droid tanks in the phantom menace?