1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. New Lizardman army book and info

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Rikard, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Taken from Warseer, please remember to salt well before digesting...

"Just a couple of rumours, that I feel should be taken with a pinch of salt (actually, take a pinch of salt out of the bag, then just tip the bag over the shoulder) pertaining to the rumoured Lizards - rumour sources are as yet unverified for the most part and unreliable;

In short - monster heavy.

I have the date of a late summer/early autumn release next year for Lizardmen, which sort of matches Harry's prediction of Mid 2013.

There are whisperings of a new "super monstrous cavalry" unit; pertaining in particular to units of Carnosaur mounted Saurus; I believe this is more akin to a ridden monster rare unit like a Stonehorn. I have heard of a new plastic carnosaur (singular); as well, but nothing concrete. It will also be the first time in 8th Edition (to date) that a character will be able to ride the same monstrous beast as the unit in its army - the Empire peg-captain doesn't count, and that's presuming that Grymloq changes to MC, rather than staying as a Monster.

Slann now becomes a multi-part plastic set - availability for a Relic Priest (Kroak, including Deathmask), a normal Priest, and a special limited edition plastic combination pack (similar to the Exalted Daemon Chariot) that combines a Stegadon and a Slann Priest to recreate Mazdamundi. In addition, they get access to Disciplines, but these may not be taken more than once. Reading into rumours suggests that Slann have Loremaster (see below for reasoning).

All Saurus armies become "viable" thanks to the return of Sacred Spawnings - units can purchase Sacred Spawnings like a Mark of Chaos, while characters get access to them off the bat. One will allow them to join Temple Guard units, others will give benefits to specific units, like Magic Resistance or Devastating Charge (Sotek?), while others (like Itzl, or whatever the Cold One Riders are), are already included within their stats.

Razordons and Salamanders become a Dual part plastic Monstrous beasts + handler kits, 2 Monsters and 6 Handlers to a set.

Couatl model - working like a Terrorgheist in that it can be both a mount (rumours are to be available at sub-200 points to allow 2 to be taken for heroes in 2400 games) and a monster, presuming rare.

The Stegadons become special choices as well, with a unit "upgrade" to Ancient stats, and a weapon "upgrade" to didgeridoo blowdarts. Skink Mounts still available IIRC.

Skink Priests gain access to Beasts as well as Heavens. In addition, Skink Priests may become "attendants" to a Slann - basically I read it as a Skink Priest option allowing it access to the same Lore the Slann itself knows. Reading into that suggests that Slann have Loremaster as standard.

The return of the Arcanadon - one thing that every non-lizard player is going to hate, a pokemon venusaur/stegadon crossover which takes in solar power to create a blast of magical light, in the form of a cannonball/stone thrower/flame cannon/breath weapon monster. Although nothing concrete about the presumed dual nature of the kit, it could possibly be a much "wanted" Thunder Lizard capable of making thunderstorms. This is eerily reminiscent of the Luminarks/Hurricanums however, so I am EXTREMELY DOUBTFUL and think is little more than wishlisting. Combined with the Couatl which is also a "thunder/weather" monster, this might be crossed wires, OR wishlisting (I believe the latter, though).

Apparently Nakai will return - an apparently unbreakable "autohealing" monster non-general hero choice.

If all proves to be true, it looks like the possibility of a monster heavy army;

Lord
    - Oldblood
    -- Carnosaur
    - Kroq-Gar
    -- Carnosaur
    - Mazdamundi
    -- Stegadon
    - Tenenhauin
    -- Stegadon
    -- Couatl (?)
    - Nakai

Hero
    - Skink Priest
    -- Couatl
    -- Stegadon
    -- Terradon
    - Skink Chief
    -- Stegadon
    -- Couatl (?)
    -- Terradon
    - Tiqtaqto
    -- Terradon
    - Scar Veteran
    -- Carnosaur (?)

Core
    - Skink+Kroxigor Cohorts
    - Cold One Riders (?/reliant on Kroq Gar)

Special
    - Stegadon/Steg Ancient
    - Kroxigors
    - Terradons

Rare
    - Arcanadon
    - Thunder Lizard
    - Couatl
    - Carnosaur Monster/Carnosaur Monstrous Cavalry
    - Salamanders
    - Razordons

Assuming some points values, a 3K game can get 3 Rare Monsters, 3 Hero+Monsters, and 1-2 Lord+Monsters.

As again, HUGE pinch of salt to be taken."

Info from Antipathy on warseer.

Hastings has also hinted that the new book is currently planned for mid 2013.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Interesting stuff, I agree about the saltiness of it though. If even a grain or two is true, it should be fun. It's actually good to see some kind of rumor about Lizarmen active.

Guess we will wait and see.

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

4. Roka
    Skink

Roka New Member

wait... games workshop is showing some lov..lo... affection towards lizards? LIES

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

That's too good to be true, that's almost everything on my wish list, relic priests, Skinks with Lore of Beasts, Sacred Spawning. I'm thinking I better get a block of salt lick from a horse stable, or I'll be disappointed.

About the only things on my wishlist I don't see are pretty much pipe dreams: Skink Horned Horned One Riders, Skink Priests riding Terradons, a water dinosaur, and the biggest pipe dream of all, Kroxigor characters, and a Chamo Skink Priest SC.

EDIT: I guess I should point out some wisdom from the old Temple Pyramid Vault forums when seventh ed was coming out. A rumor tends to either be what you hope for most or fear most. Relatively littile in between.

6. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Well I think all of this info to my mind at least falls into different categories.

Believable, possible, unlikely and unbelievable

Believable

Lord
    - Oldblood
    -- Carnosaur
    - Kroq-Gar
    -- Carnosaur
    - Mazdamundi
    -- Stegadon
    - Tenenhauin

- Skink Priest
    -- Stegadon
    -- Terradon
    - Skink Chief
    -- Stegadon
    -- Terradon
    - Tiqtaqto
    -- Terradon
    - Scar Veteran

Core
    - Skink+Kroxigor Cohorts
    - Cold One Riders (?/reliant on Kroq Gar)

Special
    - Stegadon
    - Kroxigors
    - Terradons

Rare
    - Carnosaur Monster/Carnosaur Monstrous Cavalry - the only reason I think this is likely is because the news came from Hastings on warseer.
    - Salamanders
    - Razordons

Possible.

Lord
    - Nakai - he's had at least three different rule sets made for him in the past plus tons of conversion suggestions so I think there's a strong possibility he will be in the new book.

Hero
    -- Carnosaur (?) - personally do not see this happening for a scar vet, but if carno cavalry is happening then I suppose this too is possible.

- sacred spawnings, they were in 6th ed and ravening hordes, hopefully they will make a come back.

Unlikely

Couatl - there's been a few play tests in german white dwarfs but nothing major in articles or books and nothing I've seen to indicate they will make an appearance.
    - Arcanadon the whole lustria campaign was fun but again, no model just a conversion idea and the engine of the gods quickly got moved as an option for a stegadon instead.

Unbelievable

Rare
    - Thunder Lizard - we have tons of dinos, more with each edition and including forgeworld (when they release a model) I do not personally see this happening.
    Relic priests - other than fluff, they've never appeared before with the exception of Kroak.

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I think you are pretty close, Rikard. That looks about right.

8. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Should be hitting shelves just as I finish sculpting my obsolete army! :D

9. SouthlandLizardman
    Saurus

SouthlandLizardman New Member

my wallet just can't get a break. I just hope they don't ruin Salamanders...

10. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Hello,

I think that they will, because they are very good now, with the whole march and shoot + hitting all models under the Template...

11. Iron Mullet
    Jungle Swarm

Iron Mullet New Member

They probably will raise the point cost, nerf their stats, or both.
    Keeping fingers crossed for either a dread saurian or a coatyl (or both!)... good chance we'll get something big and nasty - maybe some new centerpiece dinosaur that we've never seen before.

12. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Of course they will bring down Salamanders a peg or two. I think remove skirmish would be the easiest way.

Of course we get a big new centrepiece model. Not Dread Saurian (WF will make that one), possibly Coatl, Thunderlizard, Arcanadon or Carnosaur. But could easily be a completely new one.

13. Wiggus
    Saurus

Wiggus New Member

bare in mind that it may even be likely that we get a double model with two options within the one box

14. Adi052
    Jungle Swarm

Adi052 New Member

would say that most things in the lizzie book are very good for the cost, if i were you i would focus on a smashy list with lots of saurus/stegs and other bashy things or a sneaky list with lots of skinks and other skirmisher things.
    Things i like:

Slann, i like to run mine cheap with not that many upgrades (hes already amazing at base cost)
    Scarvets on cold ones, really good for the points and have effective item combos
    Saurus, killy and tough
    Skirmisher skinks, amazing take by the bucket load
    Ranked skinks, small units of ten as redirectors or big units with krox to be annoying
    Terradons, excellent at redirecting and point denial
    Camo skinks, very shooty and hard to hit back
    Sallies, too good for points best mobile-monster-warmachine in the game

Jungle swarms are not that bad, cheapest redirector in the book.

15. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Do you guys think there is any chance we will get pachycephalosaurus looking mounts as monstrous cav, rather than mini-Carnosaurs? Something with impact hits besides the Stegadon. I'd be all for that. They'd probably be pretty easy to make if GW just added new heads to the Cold One Cavalry box.

how-to-draw-dinosaurs-14.jpg

I'd like a rumor like this to make it's way to GW. Maybe it'll ping on their radar. :smug:

Attached Files:

16. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Mmmm, I don't know how much more room there is for straight-up dinosaurs in the army. I think we might get a new cold one set (which would be great, because the current ones are pretty dumb), but I think the current set is still pretty new. Not sure if they'd just throw away the plastic mould.
    I would LOVE for a Couatl to be in the army list. I've got a Ral Partha Feathered Serpent that is dying to be included :D

17. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I've got the same Ral Partha feathered serpent unassembled in a box...shhh! Don't let GW catch on that any of these RP models are still out there or they will be sure to go the extra mile to make sure that the model they release makes ours obsolete!

Frankly I expect the Sallies to be scaled back, taking away the move & shoot feature, making them more like Skaven WFT's, and at the same time making the Razordon better on balance.

The only change I am dying for is a small boost to Saurus to make them what they were before all infantry got a second rank of attacks. A rule that the second rank of Saurus can use both attacks on their profile (unlikely to fly); a lowering of Saurus point cost (possible and easy to justify); a +1 to WS, or an option to carry halberds would all suit me just fine. And allow one unit a magic banner (not going to happen, but as long as I am asking... :))

I'd also love to see Temple Guard with double handed weapons. We really do need a Str 6 infantry option.

Other than that I hope very little changes, although sacred spawnings would add a nice flavor back to the army and would be welcome.

Oh, and pretty please, a Skink Priest-General with better magic than level 2 lore of Heavens to make an all-Skink army truly viable!

And my personal pet peeve change: give chameleons 360 degree line of sight to go with those googly eyes they have!

18. Jinxed
    Jungle Swarm

Jinxed New Member

Is it only rumors or has it been confirmed that Lizardmen are getting a new book in 2013 ?

19. Marekai
    Skink

Marekai New Member

I would love to see a huge winged dinosaur added in. I love dragons and that is the one thing I really wish Lizardmen would have.

20. Natural 20
    Saurus

Natural 20 Member

Idunno seeing has how GW loves making these Huge based monsters for armies now ( Arachnarok Spider, Stonehorn, Empire Gryphon, Terror Gheist) i can deffinetly see them making a BIG dino for lizards. Of all the candidates id say the Thunderlizard would probably be the best one.

I mean they're mentioned in a few books and in a few of the background pictures in some of the Lizard art there are sauropod type heads seen (If you look at the big picture on page 5 of the Lizzie book where theyre fighting Dark Elves look in the far back you'll see a sauropod neck and head near the steg) not to mention theres a Skink priest on a coatle in that same picture flying above. So i can see them making a big kit of a Thunderlizard maybe it will be a stone thrower! A REALLY EXPENSIVE ONE!!!!!!

Anyway i mean look at some of the options other armies have, look at Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves, and Empire they have so many Lord on (Insert mount here) options why shouldn't lizzies have some more crazy beasts to field i see alot of this being very possible. As far as new models go i think we will get the monstrous calvery which could be carnosaurs plus the thunderlizard and coatle and that will probably top off the model range additions aside from some new character models maybe. Then GW will sit back and do those lousy wave releases they love so much maybe with other character models