1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new LM 8th edition player

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DrrrL, Feb 28, 2023.

1. DrrrL
    Skink

DrrrL Member

new to the hobby as of late December 2022, fell hard after playing a round of 8th edition at a local WFB enthusiast's house. thought I'd just go out and buy some well-painted minis to play, and instead have fallen even harder for painting/basing/crafting lore. loving the zen of it all, and the anticipation before a battle.

Chose lizards on a whim shortly after my first battle and have been lurking on eBay ever since. Am now in a building/painting frenzy and have loved reviewing everyone's paint jobs in the Itza Gallery.

First completed unit (20 SW) was finished and fielded in January:
    PXL_20230203_000918317.jpg

50+ skink horde with krox support is next up on my bench:
    PXL_20230212_152626798.jpg

but am currently building out a 2500pt list centred around Kroq-Gar for end of March battle, any tips appreciated, as I need to shave about 90 pts

Kroq-Gar
    ScarVet on Cold One - BSB, L Armour, Enchanted Shield, Sword of Swift Slaying
    ranked with: 7 Cold Ones with spear
    Skink Chief on Ripper ("Skipper") - dragonhelm, egg of quango, shield, spear (this build was so much fun in a game I played at the weekend)
    Skink Chief w/ crown of command and Skink Priest (lvl 1 Beasts, Dispel and Ruby Ring) bussed in Skink Horde of 36 javelin skinks and 2 kroxis
    1 unit of 30 Saurus Warriors full command/spears
    1 unit of 10 Saurus Warriors champ/standard/spears
    1 unit of blowpipe skink skirmishers
    1 unit of chamo skinks
    1 ancient steg (blowpipes)
    1 salamander

2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums!

Building a list around Kroq-Gar is awesome, and while he is not exactly a great character rules-wise he is a favorite of mine in lore, so I very much approve of your choice :D
    Regarding your build I'd say you should just have fun with it for now and play whatever you want, optimization can always come later and it also depends on your local meta. One thing I would say, is that I'd personally up the number of saurus warriors as 10 usually won't accomplish much, so I'd say take 5 from the 30 man unit and find points for 5 to 10 more, if you have the models. You also won't get anything out of taking spears with only 10 saurus, you need at least 15 and that's the bare minimum, but you'd still lose attacks in all scenarios, with a minimum unit.
    I also don't know how much use you'll get out of your Skink chief with the crown of command, as he is easy to kill, but hey he is cool :cool:
    You might want to consider a Battle Standard Bearer.

And all that after I just said you should do whatever you want :p
    Anyway I hope the game in March will be great fun and that Kroq-Gar will do well.

3. DrrrL
    Skink

DrrrL Member

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I've swapped out that unit of 10 SW for 10 skink skirmishers. I basically want a flank deflector and also a third option for removing artillery. BSB is on the scar vet who I'm hoping will stay close to centre.
    TBH I just want to see the full grinding power of core being supported by KG. I played last weekend with a gorgeous slann build and I rolled double sixes and nuked all my temple guard and got burned on the magic.

ASSASSIN_NR_1 likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

DrrrL likes this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hello and welcome @DrrrL !

Do you play Lizardmen exclusively or do you have any other eight edition WHFB armies as well?

6. DrrrL
    Skink

DrrrL Member

I literally just got introduced to all things Warhammer back near Hogmanay with a bunch of local 8th ed players and shortly thereafter somewhat randomly chose lizards as my target (fate of Sotek!). I really like the looks of a few other armies, but have limited time and want to focus on a full army make with lizards before I move on to something completely lore opposite like chaos, skaven or green skins. What do y'all play?

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I play:
    • Chaos Dwarfs
    • Tomb Kings
    • Warriors of Chaos
    • Lizardmen

If you ever decide to pick up another army (or are simply interested in reading up on them), we've actually got a great sub-forum dedicated to non-Lizardmen WHFB armies right here on the site! Lots of wonderful threads in there and you're more than welcome to come and join in on the fun.

DrrrL and Killer Angel like this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

i haven't opportunities to play 8th, but i have:

Lizardmen
    Tomb Kings
    Dwarfs
    Vampire Counts (limited number)

9. DrrrL
    Skink

DrrrL Member

awesome, thanks very much! really looking forward to connecting with lizard-players!

Imrahil and Killer Angel like this.
  10. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Welcome along!

It seems like the right people have found you already ;)

Have fun in our Jungle and with the hobby.

Grrr, !mrahil

DrrrL likes this.
  11. DrrrL
    Skink

DrrrL Member

By the way, I got absolutely trounced! My list was quite a bit different than the above (heavy on saurus warriors, light on skinks), but KG was a cannon/hellblaster magnet from the outset and my flyers and skirmishers couldn't get to the warmachine killing quick enough. KG fell and Grymloq went into a blind frenzy, but losing that 520pts in one go left me almost as sore as when my slann went off in a calamitous detonation.

Anyways, lessons learned and we'll pick ourselves up for the next one (2500pt v Skaven - lore classic list feat Tehenhauin). This is the way.

12. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Poor old Kroqy-G - and oof hellblasters are nasty, too nasty imo (yeah they are a sore topic for me personally :rolleyes:) and it's just never fun losing such a big piece.

Hope it goes better with Tehenhauin - if nothing else a thematic battle is fun on its own :)