1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS New Player Here: Is this a reasonable starting list? (1250pts)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Scribe of Sotek, Feb 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Scribe of Sotek
    Skink

Scribe of Sotek Active Member

Hi all,

I'm a longtime 40K player just starting to get into AOS and I was wondering if this was a reasonable starting list to aim for. Partly I picked units based on what I have and what comes in the start collecting boxes but I'm somewhat flexible.

Koatl's Claw

Leaders
    -Saurus Scar Veteran on Carnosaur (general)
    celestite warspear, dominant predator, eviscerating blade
    -Skink Starpriest
    (not sure on the best spells to take but maybe hand of glory?)

Battleline
    -30x Saurus warriors w/spears
    -10x skinks w/blowpipe and shield
    -10x skinks w/blowpipe and shield
    -10x Saurus Templeguard

Behemoth
    -Bastilodon w/solar engine

Other
    -3x ripperdactyl riders

Malign Sorcery
    -Bound Endless Spell: Suffocating gravetide (I was planning on converting this to look like a jungle swarm)

The idea was to use the block of warriors buffed by the scar veteran and starpriest as my main threat. The Skinks are screens or objective grabbers, and the ripperdactlys can also grab objectives or try to assassinate squishy characters.

Does this seem like a viable list to aim for? It doesn't have to be tournament winning just relatively decent all around. Currently I would only need to buy one box of saurus warriors and the start collecting skinks box to have everything for the army. The only model I would have that isn't being used in the current list is a regular skink priest.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Wlecome to AoS and Seraphon!

I like the list. Seems like a great entry point for the Saurus Side of things. Hand of Glory or Celestial Harmony are best spells for the Star Priest in my opinion. Battle shock can be nasty and command points are at a premium in Koatl's Claw. The Temple Guard are the only thing I would consider changing. Taking a 20x unit of Club Warriors will likely get you more damage. Or maybe some Saurus Knights.

Scribe of Sotek likes this.
  3. Scribe of Sotek
    Skink

Scribe of Sotek Active Member

That's good to hear! Funnily enough I actually have 10 spare skinks and 10 classic cold one models laying around and I was considering converting them to be skink cold one riders inspired by Tichi Huichi's Raiders so if I get that project done I might swap in 10 proxy "saurus" knights for the temple guard!

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. NecridHydra
    Temple Guard

NecridHydra Well-Known Member

Hello there! Welcome to AoS. Have fun!!

Now let's see the list.

The Starpriest will have Hand of Glory or Celestial Armony, to repeat 1s or avoiding battleshock, up yo you.

Saurus in units of 20 or 40. In 20 with clubs, 40 with spears.

Skinks are good as screens in units of 10. Javelins if they're screens; if you want to get objectives, pick Boltspitters.

Temple Guard is almost useless without an Slann, they are just overpriced Saurus.

Basti is OK. Plus of you buy Bound Burning Head and stick it near it to repeat 1s to hit.

Rippers sucks. They're cool models but they're by far the worst warscroll we have. You'll need a chief with them to make them somehow good.

You'll have a few points left, considering that you'll probably won't use the useless spell you bought, as Starpriest cast only one spell/turn.

Upgrading the unit of Saurus to 40 and hold an objective is a good idea. Buying some Knights to make company to your General is another. Or buying 2 Sallys

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Rippers are okay. 80 points for 9 wounds with +5 save, fly and, 12" movement makes them decent in Kotal's Claw. Having a unit that can jump over enemy lines to get an objective is worth 80 points. Their foot print is similar to 10x skinks for Screening as well.