8th Ed. New Player with an easy question.

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by DanBot, Nov 28, 2011.

1. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

So I'm really new and I'm sure it is in the rule book somewhere, but I was wondering if the kroxigor in mixed units count as core? Also does the cost of adding a steg mount go in the heros category or rare?

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah kroxigor in a mixed unit count as core, and when a character takes a steg it uses the hero allocation instead of special/rare.

3. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

I never knew that about kroxigor. Where does it say that? Ive been wasting points for along time if thats the case

4. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

In the Lizardmen Army book under skink upgrades, which is in the core section, it allows you to purchase 1 krox for every 8 skinks to form a mixed unit. Since this is listed in the core section and it is purchased with core points, the krox is a core purchase.

- Lord Cedric

5. eppe
    Kroxigor

eppe Member

Wow... that changes alot of things for me.

6. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Thankfully it didnt effect my current lists. Though it is going to take a toll on my friend's vc list. One more question. That means you can't upgrade a krox to an ancient in a mixed unit?

7. Lord Cedric
    Terradon

Lord Cedric Member

That's a very good question as I have not seen a direct answer in either the Army book or FAQs. I have always played it that if the Krox is bought in the core section as part of a mix unit and there is no option listed there for a krox upgrade, I don't upgrade. To me in my opinion, it's a unique circumstance to hire a "special" troop choice with core points so it kind of balances it out. If I want the ancients, then I purchase the krox as a special toop for their own unit. I could, however, be entirely wrong in this as like I said.. I have not seen/read a direct answer.

Not related to this question, but in addition to the Kroxigor/Skink topic, I wanted to include this bit of info taken from the FAQ:

Q. Do Kroxigors count towards the minimum unit size of a unit of
    Skinks? (p94)
    A. No

Hope some of this helps. Perhaps someone else will chime in on a more direct answer for your question.

- Lord Cedric

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That would be nice, but it really changes nothing. The supporting attacks that the Krox get are capped out at 3 (because they are supporting), they cannot even be buffed by a spell like Birona's timewarp. The only thing the ancient gives is an extra attack anyway.

Hope this helps.

9. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Oh. That is very helpful. I didn't know supporting attacks were capped at 3. I thought they were capped at 1 and that great reach just let them get all their attacks from the second row. What if all the skinks die and a kroxigor is sent to the front row? I know, waste of points in any case. I'm sure no one would complain about wasting 20 points on such an small detail in any case. I guess it doesn't really matter.

@Lord Cedric: Good to know i can't run 8 skinks and a krox. I thought about it once. haha.

10. Tim was Taken
    Jungle Swarm

Tim was Taken New Member

GW wrote an errata for Lizardmen which removed Great Reach in 8th edition since creatures with monstrous bases hit with three attacks in the second rank -- in other words, the removal of Great Reach means that the Kroxigor can strike the enemy without being hit back in close combat (since Great Reach originally put them as "counting in base to base combat").

The errata has actually removed or changed a lot of special rules and their wording, especially for Skink Cohorts and their Kroxigor friends.

11. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Tim is correct. The skrox unit is now essentially a kroxigor delivery unit. Kroxigors cannot be targeted unitl there is actual base contact.

To answer your question about a Kroxigor stepping up to the front rank. Once that happens, the kroxigor would get the extra attacks (if any).

12. strewart
    OldBlood

Supporting attacks are capped at 1 for normal troops, but 3 for monstrous infantry like krox, so saurus supporting still only get 1 each.

You can't take an ancient in a mixed unit because the option simply isn't there. Don't think of it so much as buying a unit of skinks and a unit of krox and combining them (that doesn't work they can't join or leave during a game) think of it more as an upgrade to the skink unit. They can be upgraded to contain 1 krox for every 8 skinks according to the army list entry, and there is no option there for ancients.

13. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I figured not anyway. Spending 40points in skinks and 75 on a krox hardly seems like a core choice. But what does "Great Reach" mean then? I think it says something like "if a krox is in base contact with a skink that is in base contact with an enemy he too counts as being in base contact. It can attack and be attacked" Something like that anyway. I read it like 2 hours ago. Does that mean they aren't support rank attacks and that if a an ancient could be put in the unit it would have four attacks? In case of house rules or future rule changes and whatnot. Perhaps a spell or magic do-dad that doesn't allow an enemy to take hits from support ranks. Maybe when flanked in the rear the krox still attack. (That is if being flanked in the rear means you don't get support rank attacks, like I was taught.) Does the krox still count as being in base contact or is the only purpose of "great reach" to allow them to cause fear while in the second row. I don't really see the point of the ability if monsterous infintry support attacks are limited to 3 anyway. Does it even allow fear in the second row? I think Great reach only says they count as being in base contact in regards to attacks and being attacked. They do cause fear from there right?

Reading these rules confuse me. Haha. So when are they making an 8th edition lizardmen book? I think that is half my problem. Great Reach isn't in the core book. Does the rule even still exist? It isn't under the Lizardmen rules on page 40 or whatever it is. You have to find it on the Kroxigor page near the back of the book.

Thank you guys for helping me with these rules btw. I will probably have a lot more questions as i go. I am reading the core book back to front over the next week. Oh boy. Prepare yourselves.

14. Tim was Taken
    Jungle Swarm

Tim was Taken New Member

My post on the previous page explained that the "latest" Lizardmen errata from Games Workshop completely removed Greater Reach (making Kroxigors safer in a Skink cohort unit), along with the lack of maneuverability the unit had to deal with through, I believe, Spawn-kin.

15. Dirty Mac
    Skink

Dirty Mac New Member

Because the Krox can't be targeted, when do they step to the front? After all the other skinks are dead?

16. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

Do they cause fear still without being base to base?

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah they got changed a fair bit in the FAQ. Great reach as a rule now no longer exists at all, so don't bother trying to read that mess. Its just supporting attacks, the krox can attack with 3 attacks but not get attacked until the skinks die enough. It also says in the FAQ that a skrox unit will indeed cause fear even though the krox are in the second rank, but fear is fairly worthless now so thats not a huge thing. I often forget to use it even.

The page on mixed units on the special rules page for LM still applies for when a krox has to move up to the front rank. I am fairly sure it boils down to the fact that your back rank can never be wider than your front rank, so if you have 2 kroxigor (4 skinks width) you must have 4 skinks in front of them. When there are only 3 skinks left, the back is now wider so one of the krox has to step forward into the front rank.