1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Newbosaurus curious about next steps

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Plushosaurus, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Plushosaurus
    Skink

Plushosaurus Member

Hi! As I mentioned in my thread in the Intro section, I am about to start on 2 boxes of Start Collecting: Saurus mainly as a painting project. But I would like to eventually turn it into a playable army... I'm just looking to get it to "gives a good game and wins sometimes", but not anything tooled for tournament play.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I would expand from there? I will have 2 Carnos (Scar Vet and Old Blood), 2 Starpriests (converted from the Troglodon riders), 15 Knights, 1 hero on Cold One, and 20 Warriors starting out. Where would you suggest that I build from there? I would think that I'm building into Coalesced / Koatl's Claw with that... should I get a regular Slann or Lord Kroak? More Warriors or something else?

Mainly I want to paint pretty lizards, but I figure that they can probably end up being a decent army if I ever get a chance to actually play. I'm not very experienced with AoS but I have some experience with the gothic space version of the game.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Kroak is always a good addition. Bound Geminids and Balewind Vortext are also great. After that I would decided if you want to lean more into Knights or more into Warriors. And starting adding in more units accordingly.

Dread Saurian and Plushosaurus like this.
  3. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

You're on the right track with Koatl's Claw for sure. You could eventually run both the Sunclaw (3 saurus warrior units and 1 oldblood) and Firelance (3 saurus knights and 1 scar-vet) battalions with minimal additional models, just a few more saurus warriors basically. With the 2 starpriests you're right around 1500 points

LizardWizard and Plushosaurus like this.
  4. Plushosaurus
    Skink

Plushosaurus Member

I've landed more or less here for my first 2000 points:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    Constellation: Koatl's Claw
    Realm: Ghur
    Leaders:
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Arcane Might
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    - Artefact: Ixti Grubs
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (230)
    - Artefact: Blade of Realities
    Saurus Scar-veteran on Carnosaur (210)
    - Celestite Warspear
    - Artefact: Eviscerating Blade
    Battleline:
    5x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Lances
    5x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Lances
    5x Saurus Knights (100)
    - Lances
    40x Saurus Warriors (320)
    - Spears
    10x Saurus Warriors (90)
    - Spears
    10x Saurus Warriors (90)
    - Spears
    Battalions:
    Firelance Temple-host (160)
    Sunclaw Temple-host (140)
    Endless Spells:
    Bound Balewind Vortex (50)
    Total: 1990 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 127

Looks like fun and those are the models that I have accumulated so far.

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Glorious

LizardWizard and Plushosaurus like this.
  6. Tyranitar
    Terradon

Tyranitar Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a good start! A few suggestions would be running the scar-vet or old blood as the general so you get the dominant predator command trait to get more CP generation going, our units need those command buffs to perform. I'm not sure if you need balewind vortex with a normal slann, it's better if you take kroak as the extra spell and range help a lot with his spammable celestial deliverance that has a short range. You might be better taking a bound burning head for +1 to hit on some of your units. Lastly, the 10 man saurus units should likely have clubs instead of spears, there's not enough models to need the 2" range so the extra rend is better. Hope that helps!

LizardWizard likes this.