1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog NIGHTBRINGER's Painting Blog - 1000 point (not so) year end Chaos Dwarfs challenge (78.2%)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

I have an idea, but I don't know @NIGHTBRINGER nearly well enough to be certain. Still, it seems like a big turn out with some great painting. Good luck!

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Welcome to the club. I'm just a fledgling member too. The forum seems super friendly!

Thanks guys! You'll have to let me know if you guys were right or wrong in guessing my entry when all things are said and done. I am super impressed by all the great work put into each and every entry. 28 competitors is extremely impressive. From what I have read, the turn out is one of the best they've had in many years.

Since votes are collected and tallied via direct message, we won't know where all the entries stand until the very end...
    upload_2022-3-2_20-42-14.png

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

With the Golden Hat XXXVIII contest officially closed and the winners announced, I am finally able to share my entry here in my paint blog. Alas, my K'daai Destroyer, named Big Bessie was not able to claim one of the top three spots. No shame in it though as the contest entries were all fantastic and the competition was fierce. I did win a random draw prize though, so as they say "better lucky than good".

Anyways, let me introduce to you Big Bessie:

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg PXL_20220225_043833655.PORTRAIT.jpg

That's my K'daai girl Bessie... ready to kill my wife's Wood Elves! Hope you like her!

!!!.png

4. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Awesome.

I spotted her from the distinctive base. I think it is a fantastic piece and love the lava on the model itself. Great painting and basing buddy!

You deserve the random prize at least. There were some pretty mean entries to the contest.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you my friend. I'm quite pleased with it. Now I just need to find a second (different) model for my Destroyer #2. Always two there are, no more, no less. A master and an apprentice.

6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Really incredible work on this! The lava looks amazing, absolutely gorgeous all around.

7. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

I'm sorry you didn't place because that's a really cool paint job. The base is awesome too. Well done on getting a prize out of it :D

I guessed wrong on your mini. Oh well. :oops:

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thanks @Bowser ! :):) It took me long enough to finish it and I wasn't sure if I could pull off the relatively easy conversion of the rune, but it all turned out quite nicely in the end.

It was a tough field of competitors, so I can't feel too bad. It was fun taking part in the contest and seeing all the beautiful work that people created. So many amazingly different styles and ideas. No shame in not placing on the podium from among such a strong collection of entries!

Now you've got me curious... which number did you think was mine? Here is the list of entries

9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Honestly, I missed twice b/c I picked two models. For different reasons I guessed both #2 and #23. Ha ha ha.

#2 because from the small photo it looks pretty well painted, so, from what little I've seen of your work, I thought it was a good guess. Plus, I remember you mentioning that it wasn't a big/complex piece. This felt just complex enough to merit an entry. Plus, it has a square base. ;)

#23 because I remember your previous avatar (the Slann groom), and I've seen just a few other photos where you did some sculpting. Since, you seem pretty crafty in general, I took a stab that you might have gone with a more humorous piece. Plus, it was just a single mini and still nicely painted.

The main reason I didn't pick your actual model is because it's from AoS. Ha ha! Since I know it's not the game for you, I skipped it. However, just because you don't like AoS doesn't mean you don't like some of the cool models, and I should have considered that... oh well. Next time. :D

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Good guess and with a sound rationale for each!

Actually the Stonehorn model was released with the 8th edition Warhammer Fantasy Battles Ogre Kingdoms army book. It's a WFB model not an AoS one. That said, there are many AoS models that I like and I would not hesitate picking them up if they fit well into one of my WFB armies. I've actually got a few in my collection.

11. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Crap! Oh well, that shows you what I know about GW models. I had been out of Warhammer for so long before I came back to AoS that I just assumed.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

A textbook modification of a model from one army such that it serves equally good purpose in another! I particularly like how you painted the gaps in the Stonehorn's fur as lava rather than stone as the beast normally possesses, to properly hit home the fact that it's a K'daai Destroyer.

Congrats on getting a prize! Does the Tamurkhan micro-list allow the use of 4th Edition Bazooka teams?

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's definitely a new style looking model, so it is easily mistakable.

Thanks @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl , that's the effect I was going for, so I'm glad that it hit home. It should slot nicely into my CD army!

Interestingly, it also has an unexpected and unplanned secret ability that I accidentally discovered. :wideyed::wideyed:

No it does not. I suppose it could be used as a unit filler.

For now it will go into my mighty collection of bitz, awaiting the time when it will be called into service!

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well spill the beans, pal! I'm all ears!

[​IMG]

You've already made some fan-made rules for a couple of named characters that still stick faithfully to their 8th Edition source material, so I don't see how an addendum to the Tamurkhan list that updates rules such as Resolute, Relentless and the Iron Daemon, plus adds forgotten units and special characters from 4th Edition in a way that's faithful to the 8th Edition source material could hurt...

[​IMG]

15. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Such an awesome model!! The paint job is incredible:artist::artist:

As @Lizards of Renown said, it was recognizable yours because of the realistic lava base. But also because I remembered the WIP pictures of this beast and the CD symbols you created.

Sorry you didn't win a prize.
    Lots of good entries

Grrr, Imrahil

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So I had ignited one of my prop lightsabers, walked by my warhammer cabinet and randomly noticed a very interesting effect on my Chaos Dwarf models. It would appear that the fluorescent orange paint that I used does indeed fluoresce under the light. It's admittedly a weird effect, because the yellow I painted over the orange (to denote warmer areas) does not fluoresce and blocks out the effect in those sections, so you only see the orange bits.

While being largely worthless and strange, it is a kind of a neat effect:
    f.jpg
    Due to the lighting conditions it is hard to capture on camera, but it does look interesting in person. The effect seems to be most pronounced under the light of my blue lightsaber (as compared to my green one and "purple" one, although I have yet to try the red one).

Thank you for the kind offer, but you know me, when it comes to playing, I only use official rules. I've never actually played any the rules that I have created. I just like making them as thematic background fluff for my armies.

Thank you @Imrahil , it's nice to hear such kind compliments.

Good eye, that rune is definitely a dead giveaway for those that remember it.

I didn't finish on the podium, but I did win a random draw prize, a Chaos Dwarf Bazooka team. :) So, I had fun participating in the contest, enjoyed all the great entries and got a random prize. Not bad for not winning!

Alas, Bessie did not follow in the footsteps of Bronti . She tried hard, but those were some big shoes to fill.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  17. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Oooh! Awesome effect :wideyed:

Ah I overread that :oops: Nice!

They kind of fit in with your CD warrior's esthetic, right?
    No big hats ;)

:woot::woot: I think I have seen that conversion before, but I didn't know it was yours, what a beauty!
    Is she fully painted up though?

Grrr, Imrahil

18. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

This entire speech about light effects from your multiple lightsabres made me smile a lot. Love it.

Never saw that before! Love the conversion work!

19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Well, I'm still going to write it and post it online for the Chaos Dwarf community to enjoy and so I can say I did my bit to help the Dawi-Zharr reach their full potential, and if you ever change your mind, you know where to find me ;)

20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you my friends. I've received such wonderful feedback on that project... but it is always nice to hear more! :happy:

The creation of Bronti is my opening act of this thread.

How could you ask me such a thing?!?!.... of course not! :p

Not one drop of paint has touched her. Three main reasons:
    • I've never settled on an army wide paint scheme for my Lizardmen, and I'd want the skinks to match the rest of the army
    • There are things I'd like to improve on Bronti
    • I'm the world's slowest and least productive painter
    I think you should! From some of the chatter I've heard, I think a lot of guys over there love custom rules.

:D

Always four there are, no more, no less... unless I break down an buy another one!