1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog NIGHTBRINGER's Painting Blog - 1000 point (not so) year end Chaos Dwarfs challenge (78.2%)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Oct 28, 2017.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Hahaha... not with the PS5 unleashed!!! Elden Ring time! :D

It went well. I took some pictures, but doubtful that I can make a good battle rep from it. We'll see.

Dice rolling was on point.

The good stuff.
    :)

2. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

I hereby petition you for a Bat Rep. I want to see the CD's in action!

Did Bessie get to play?

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

She did! She most surely did!

Speaking of which, somebody might have picked up a model to be used as a second K'daai Destroyer! :wideyed::cyclops::wideyed: She needs some significant restoration work to help her reach her full potential. Also a bit of conversion work. I'm hoping she'll be a beauty when all is said and done. Already have a code name for her too! Bessie has a sister in crime!

I'll leave the rest a mystery. To be revealed at a later date, when I've had a chance to get some work done on her. (still working my way through PS5 Elden Ring though... so it may be a while :p)

4. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I'll be most interested to see which model you chose as a candidate for your second Destroyer - is it another Stonehorn or something else?

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Something completely different. In lore, Destroyers are created uniquely. They have different shapes, sizes and forms. That really gives me the opportunity to have a little bit of fun and pick up any model that catches my eye.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So, my newly acquired Destroyer needed a base. I was not happy with the base that I made for Bessie. The plastic was too thin and flexible, resulting in a slight warping due to the contraction of the varnished corkboard. I took a while for this process to take effect, so I didn't notice until it was all finished. It's not a major issue, but it does bug me.

So this time around, I raided my nicest plastic stock to make a far superior base. Its thicker and far more sturdy (it also cuts much nicer with my scroll saw)...
    PXL_20220516_044143700.jpg PXL_20220516_044152308.MP.jpg
    Size = 150mm x 100mm

It's so smooth and flawless, that I have not had the heart to scratch up and score the top surface (for better glue adhesion) yet.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

A work-in-progress picture of a decorative base I'm building:

PXL_20220822_042305461.jpg

But a base for whom? :wideyed:

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I sense chaos / destruction

9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Curiouser and curiouser...

Dimensions of base? Looks like 40x40mm

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

A Monstrous Infantry or Cavalry base... hmm...

I notice you've drilled a hole through the cork bark, which suggests you're sticking a flying peg in the middle.

If you were @Warden I would have said a Bretonnian Duke or Paladin on Pegasus, but alas you are not.

Also the base consists of dead trees and skulls, which wouldn't feature on a Chaos Dwarf base (unless you're planning to deviate from your lava base style which I severely doubt) so my guesses of a Great Taurus or Lammasu are also wrong.

I would say either a Hortennse Lord on Disc or you've finally allowed yourself to be fully bitten by the Vampire bug and are converting a Vampire Lord on Abyssal Terror.

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

i think you could have won the day.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

50x50mm

Oh poo... you've gone and spoiled my little mystery :oops:. That fell apart quicker than I had hoped.

A good bit of reasoning @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . You are indeed correct. :) I felt like a change (Tzeentch pun intended). I've wanted to build this guy for quite some time. I have already begun working on affixing my Chaos Lord model onto an old disc I had bought off of Ebay a long time ago. The fit is far from perfect, so some conversion work is required. With my PS5 in full swing, I only work on this guy every once in a while.

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Since the model I'm using for Hortennse is made of metal, I've decided that I need something a little bit more robust than the standard GW clear flying stands. As you can see from the picture above, the hole I've drilled is significantly larger than what is needed for the stock flying rods. It's 1/4" to be exact, and it will house a 1/4" clear acrylic dowel. The problem is that I need to secure that thick dowel to the underside of the disc. The disc is pretty thin so I can't just drill into it. As such, I've designed and cut (on my scrollsaw) an additional piece that will be glued to the underside of the disc and house the dowel...

To make it fit in with the rest of the disc, I've spruced it up a bit (even though it will largely go unseen on the underside of the disc)... PXL_20220904_203433972.jpg

And here it is with a scrap piece of dowel (just used for testing)...
    PXL_20220904_203650800.PORTRAIT.jpg

As a little bonus, I am no longer bound to standard GW heights in terms of flying rods, as I can cut the dowel to any length that I want. :)

14. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

If your Destroyer is anything to go by, this should be a VERY interesting project! I shall watch with interest!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you my friend. I have a very strange colour scheme planned for it; one that I've had in mind for years. It is a one-off and it might go badly. Definitely outside of my comfort zone.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  16. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

I'm intrigued. Keep us posted!!!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Finished painting Hortennse's base...

PXL_20220925_042857776.jpg PXL_20220925_042907319.jpg PXL_20220925_042918285.jpg PXL_20220925_042925859.jpg PXL_20220925_043017049.jpg PXL_20220925_043039810.jpg

And last but not least, I even included a little bit of Beastmen action on the lower right side just for @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl :)
    PXL_20220925_042954656.jpg

18. Killer Angel
    Slann

The Beastmen bit was a nice touch, i'm sure it will be appreciated.

Really good base, i love the vulture

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Thank you! The vulture originates from the Ogre Kingdoms Stonehorn kit (a leftover bit from my K'daai Destroyer conversion)

I hope so. I call myself NIGHTBRINGER, but sometimes CAREBRINGER might be more appropriate! :p:D:p

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

yep, at the beginning i was like "oh, a vulture from the TK skull catapult?"
    But i immediately realized it was not. ;)