1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Nukecast Kroak Eternals

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by heksagon, May 23, 2016.

1. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Hello!
    I decided to write about my Stormcast Eternals/Seraphon tactic.
    I hope you will like it. I'm sorry in advance for my language mistakes, feel free to correct me. :)

Chapter 1

This tactica basics: Keep Kroak safe, poke your enemy with comets, use deep lightning strike with Stormcast Eternals and defend your mighty old frog.

I created this tactic to deal with my friend which is collecting Vampire Counts. He has some pretty insane spell combo in his army. If you are not interested in this Undead stuff, just skip to Chapter 2.

He uses Arkhan the Black, Mortarch of Sacrament (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-deathlords-arkhan-en.pdf ):

• bonuses to cast and unbind
    • regeneration
    • sick unique spell: CURSE OF YEARS Tracing a spiteful gesture in the air, Arkhan curses the enemy to age at an incredible rate. Curse of Years has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick a visible unit within 18" and roll ten dice. For each roll of 6, that unit suffers a mortal wound and you can roll an extra dice. For each roll of 5 or more on these extra dice, the target suffers another mortal wound and you can roll another dice. Now, for each roll of 4 or more, the target suffers another mortal wound and you can roll another dice. Keep rolling dice in this way, inflicting mortal wounds and reducing the roll needed to cause them by 1 each time, until either no wounds are inflicted or the target unit has been reduced to a pile of corpse-dust!
    This shit is very powerfull, last time he used this spell, he basically one-shooted my full-health Oldblood on Carnosaur.

• Arkhan knows spells of every DEATH WIZARD that is within 18” of him. And he can cast two spells in turn.
    • His command ability is great: First of the Mortarchs: If Arkhan the Black uses this ability, then all Death Wizards within 18" of him can increase the range of their spells by 6" this phase. → so, 24” Arcane Bolts and other nasty stuff. It's really hard to get close to heavy-wizard-army with Arkhan as a general.
    Mannfred (he's strong, in any of his versions.)

• Good offensive spell: WIND OF DEATH Mannfred sends forth a gust of spectral wind that tears the souls from the bodies of any who feel its bite. Wind of Death has a casting value of 7. If successfully cast, pick a visible model within 18" of the caster. Each enemy unit within 6" of that model suffers 1 mortal wound, while the model’s own unit suffers D3 mortal wounds. + 6” thanks to Arkhan
    • Also, he's very powerfull in combat.

Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/reso...os-warscroll-vampire-lord-zombiedragon-en.pdf)

• Great in combat
    • Damned spell, remember about +6” from Arkhan. Also, Arkhan can cast this spell just after he uses his own spell (2 spells in turn)...: BLOOD BOIL The Vampire Lord utters a curse that causes his foe’s blood to boil in their veins. Blood Boil has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick an enemy unit within 18". That unit suffers a mortal wound. If a model was wounded, but not slain by this spell, roll another dice: on a 4 or more that model suffers another mortal wound. If the model is still not slain, roll yet another dice; it will suffer another mortal wound on a 4 or more. Keep repeating this until either the model is slain or you fail to roll a 4 or more.
    Necromancer (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-necromancer-en.pdf)

• just for spell: VANHEL’S DANSE MACABRE The undead are filled with magical energy that causes them to jerk forwards and attack with tireless, unnatural speed. Vanhel’s Danse Macabre has a casting value of 6. If successfully cast, pick a Skeleton, Mordant or Zombie unit within 18"; that unit can pile in and attack twice in your next combat phase.
    This spell can be cast second time by Arhkan in one phase. My friend uses Skeletons (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-skeleton-warriors-en.pdf). Double Danse Macabre makes Skeleton Warriors just insane. 20 skeletons can make 120 attacks, 30 skeletons can make 270 attacks in one combat phase. Yeeeeep.

Mortis Engine (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-mortis-engine-en.pdf)

• It's a good unit, but in this case the main reason I mention about it is: Bound Necromancer: You can add 1 to the casting rolls for any Death Wizards within 12" of any Mortis Engines. You and your opponent must subtract 1 from the casting rolls of all other Wizards that are within 12" of any Mortis Engines.
    And moooooore long dead units :p. Hexwraiths, Spirit Hosts, Tomb Kings...
    As you can see, it's really hard to get close to this army. That's why I created this tactic. :)

Chapter 2

You will need ANY deep strike formation. I use Thunderstrike Brotherhood from the AoS Starter Box (I own 2 starter Boxes):

Stormcast Eternals Thunderstrike Brotherhood.

This formation consists:

- 1 Lord-Celestant on Dracoth
    - 1 Lord-Relictor
    - 1 unit of Retributors
    - 1 unit of Prosecutors
    - 2 units of Liberators

Abilities:

Brother in Arms: Add 1 to the Bravery of any unit from this battaion that is within 6" of one or more other units from this battalion. (useful against Bravery-based attacks)

Lightning Strike: Instead of setting up a unit from this battalion on the battlefield, you can place it to one side and say that it is set up as part of your army in the Celestial Realm. In any of your movement phases, you can transport the unit to the battlefield. When you do so, set up the unit on the battlefield more than 9" from any enemy models. This is their move for that movement phase.

Now, add our favorite frog, Mighty Lord Kroak. Use his spells, keep him safe. Then add some more units. Seraphons or Stormcasts, you decide.

You can Deep Strike on the 2nd or even 3rd turn, just wait for the good opportunity, remember to have fun with spells.

In my opinion it's good to choose Kroak as a general, just for free re-rolls. Remember, you can re-roll your Initiative Roll, and that is really important in case of Deep Strike (especially if you use many ranged units. Your enemy can't shoot back in your phase.)

If you want, add some EXTRA units, like Knight-Azyros (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-knightazyros-en.pdf)

9” LS safe area sounds risky for you? Catch this:

Leader of the Way: STORMCAST ETERNAL units in your army that use the Lightning Strike ability to be transported to the battlefield can be set up within 5" of a Knight-Azyros, even if this would mean that they are within 9" of the enemy.

How to get really close to your opponent with a Knight Azyros? Use Knight-Vexillor combo (warscroll: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/aos-warscroll-knightvexillor-en.pdf) :
    Pennant of the Stormbringer: Once per battle, a Knight-Vexillor carrying a Pennant of the Stormbringer can summon a mighty hurricane in your hero phase. To do so, pick a Stormcast Eternal unit in your army and remove it from play, then set it up anywhere more than 3" from the enemy (Heksagon: remember, you can set up Knight Azyros 3" from the enemy, but then you can deep strike ANYWHERE you want. Even straight to the close combat). It cannot move in the following movement phase. After setting up the unit, roll a dice for each enemy unit within 6": on result of 4+, it is blasted by the gale and suffers d3 mortal wounds. (Heksagon: Extra mortal wounds just before Deep Striking? Sounds great! :) )

So, you get the idea? ;)

This formation should works great with extra Bastiladons (especially if unexpected summoned by Kroak/Slann), Rippertodactyls and summoned charging Saurus Knights. Or Dread Saurian... :D

Other SE useful units:

How you like it? Do you have any ideas how to expand/correct this formation?

Please comment ;)

2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This looks like a really fun build! Really effective! I will go over this with a fine tooth comb to try to improve it, in the next few days!

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I really like sudden Death strikes. I always try to include them in my armies (chamaleon skinks, Bugman's rangers and so on).

If you look for more rerolls, add also a Starseer. ;)

Valjeanthebeast and Bowser like this.
  4. coppettim
    Skink

coppettim New Member

Hey, nice tactic. Well i have AoS starter set and kroak. Its a good idea to use this with eternal starhost + azyros and venator? I use eternal starhost on my Seraphon Army (as you can remember, you were giving me nice tips before, thanks), so its a good option to use different armies in some matches.

Bowser likes this.
  5. heksagon
    Saurus

heksagon Active Member

Hey, Venator is a great sniper (30" shooting, yeah :) ), so yes, it is a good choice for almost every Order Army. Azyros, on the other hand, is pretty useless if you don't have a Lighning Strike Formation (and shooting units).
    I you want to mix your armies, Paladins are your friends, Retributors are insanely good against everything but Nagash (he can deflect and redirect mortal wounds), Protectors are amazing against Monsters, Decimators are very killy against huge units (they have 1 attack for 1 enemy model in their melee range). Adding Lord-Castellant is a great idea too, thanks to him your Paladin unit have +1 to armor save (+ Mystic Shield, and they're AS 2+).
    Even a unit of 10 Liberators is a great help for your Seraphon army- They have 3+ AS with a Mystic Shield and AS re-rolls of 1 (if they have shields).

Bowser likes this.