1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Nullification terrain effect vs Everblaze Comet

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Grotpunter, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

I felt like it was probably a better place to ask my question here than in the Realms thread. I have been looking at Realm of Shyish quite a lot and was wondering how the Nullification effect on all terrain pieces would interact with Everblaze Comet.

Nullification reads:
    "... In addition, an endless spell that is set up or finishes a move within 1" of any Nullification terrain features is dispelled."

Everblaze Comet reads:
    "After this model is set up, roll a dice for each unit..."

As I read both, none of them really suggest an effect is happening immediately, but rather once the model has been set up. In any other part of the game where 2 things happen at the exact same time, it is up to the player (whose turn is taking place) to decide the order of effects.

Hence I cant see why Im not allowed to cast my Everblaze Comet within 1" of a Nullification terrain, deal damage to everyone 10" around it, then have it dispelled right away due to Nullification. Means I wont have to waste a cast in my next turn to dispell and re-cast it. The Nullification effect says you can set up a model within 1", but it is then dispelled afterwards, suggesting IMO it is possible to do this.

Anyone got some arguement as to why this wouldnt be the case?

Edit: I havent been able to find any FAQ in the SCE or GHB19.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

I agree with you. It doesnt say that you cant set up an endless spell within 1” of nullification terrain. Its effect goes and nullification happens AFTER set up. the player gets to choose the order

ILKAIN, LizardWizard and Grotpunter like this.
  3. tfihsnz
    Skink

tfihsnz New Member

I would say that the nullification happens first because nullification reads

"an endless spell that is set up"

and everblaze comet says

"After this model is set up"

and I interpret that to mean that the comet has to have been set up successfully before its effect takes place were as the nullification takes place when it is set up

that's how I interpret it but I do see reasons to suggest otherwise

4. Tav
    Kroxigor

Tav Well-Known Member

After looking closer at the text i have to agree. Comet affect happens after set up, the dispel would happen before the comet effect

5. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Is it because of the word “after”? Because Nullification refers to when a model is set up, it is then dispelled. The dispelling effect is still “after” setting up the model.

Killer Angel likes this.
  6. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

yeah have to agree with Grot here. "..that is set up..." requires the spell to have been successfully cast and set up to trigger. once its set up both effects are on the stack (to use magic terminology) with the player in charge of the turn choosing the order of resolution.

Grotpunter likes this.