1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Oficial point system and narrative play for AoS

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Xlanax_lot, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

2. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

I'm pretty excited for narrative play! It will be interesting to see what they do with it. Will it be a simple expansion of the core rules or will there be a more D&D style element of choice as to what battles should be thought to save the kingdom?

As for competitive points...meh, I'll probably still continue with no points assuming people still play that at my local GW. I personally loved the new approach that really let me get into the hobby with worrying about not having a "complete" army"

Bowser likes this.
  3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Also from the FB post:
    Aye! The lack of ability to balance was my biggest annoyance when I played with AoS, so if it's been handled well - and given it's been developed "in association with some of the world’s biggest tournament organisers" I'd hope it would be - then that's my main issue addressed.

Gogery and Bowser like this.
  4. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Mmh.. Honestly I find this post a bit disappointing. Not because I don't like what they said, but because what they said is pretty much what has already been during these months.
    Casual play = Open Play
    Thematic play = Narrative Play
    Competitive play = Matched Play

I mean, they said "Big News", but all I see is a very very very generic info regarding the creation of a new comp this summer...

By the way, I hope the Matched kind of play won't cannibalize the other two: if there is a thing of AoS I really love, it is its general relaxed atmosphere. The typical atmosphere I don't see in any kind of "competitive" game. :/

P.S. With "this post" I mean GW's Facebook post!

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

However, the Matched Play (hope they won't do a bad job) will put an end to the plethora of comp systems that actually are around.

It could be a good thing, especially if it gives more life to tournaments, which lament the lack of points rules.

6. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Wonder if GW has gotten better at balancing their armies, since last time they put out a system which was point based :p
    In any case, I reckon these three options could be pretty decent; it won't hurt having more option for a game. The second option sounds interesting to me, as well :)

Bowser likes this.
  7. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

You are right, but I will miss the chance to choice what comp to use from time to time! :)
    In any case, it's really nice to see GW trying to listen and satisfy its community: now we just have to wait and test these 3 modalities...
    I hope they will also in the near future revise the 4 page Rules and add what has been fixed with the FAQ. I don't believe having 5 pages instead of 4 would be a terrible thing :p

Jorgik and Bowser like this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I am really looking forward to the narrative play! Reportedly there will be a general/character building mechanic. I am hoping they come out with a warscroll template! Now all of those cool models that were outdated, or that you sculpted/converted could become your own named character! Very exciting!

Crowsfoot, Freddy25 and Phoedinn like this.
  9. Phoedinn
    Razordon

That would be amazing! I would love the chance to actually bring my own fluff into a game and have it actually be a part of it :D

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Still too early to tell, but supposed inside info for the narrative is you choose a realm, build your own town/settlement/province/country and Your General. Who knows if that will be the case but I hope so! So kind of a mordheim style, just with an AOS update.

Crowsfoot and Phoedinn like this.
  11. Phoedinn
    Razordon

If they can worm in a D&D style progressive character, I will be very happy. Very happy indeed.

12. Raptor_00
    Skink

Raptor_00 Member

I highly doubt matched play is anything you would see as points from previous editions. If anything the player will receive a point score for GW events and such. Then you can "match up" with players in your area at similar points. But seeing 5 points for a skink or .5 pool points for a unit of Saurus is not going to happen from GW.

AOS already struck this mold and I highly doubt they'll go against everything they've said on facebook, in the FAQ's, from GW headless voices from beyond about how AOS is not meant to be played as a competitive game. They just won't, and if you're betting on points you'll be really sour when what you get is not what you're hoping for. Their facebook posts have pointed people to these comps already, they wouldn't have done that if they'd planned points. GW plans this all out months in advance. Summer releases were determined before Christmas. Companies that are publicly traded like this don't make snap decisions. This is all well planned out in advance to sell the most models, so they won't do a 180 on this points thing.

Besides, points were only an illusion of balance before. GW never got it right. Current AOS comps don't get it right. 9th Age, for all the work they've done and a pretty nice product they've created, hasn't gotten it right. Why would you even want GW to come out with something? It would be the same min/max of before, shoehorned into certain units, with super powerful nets lists that rule them all, and flavor of the month being the best choice for most power and best points value.
    If you like points, pick one of the dozen comps. If people can't decide, play different ones. Or play no comp and see AOS for what it is. If you're afraid of 10 Nagash hitting the table, put down such an army that the heroes of old would sing songs about. That's what AOS is, that's what it's about. If you don't like that, play KOW, 9th age, 8th, 8.5, or anything else you want because those are all great games too. Each fills a niche in this hobby, AOS is the unbound non-competitive niche.

More than anything, don't hope for points and come June/July rage quit and burn your army when they don't come about. Because I'll take your army instead. :)

Freddy25, Bowser and Phoedinn like this.
  13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

On balance I would rather they did not.

Because of this. The community of gamers who buy their products would be far better served by a system they generated themselves.

There is an inherent conflict of interest if the firm that makes and sells the models also assigns numerical values that try to describe the fighting 'value' of the model within the rules.

Bowser likes this.
  14. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

If postage is too dear to get your models to Raptor I will give them a home...in case I am closer...
    :rolleyes:

Bowser likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

I certainly agree with the sentiment, but actually it's harder to see tournaments with KOW, 9th or 8th. GW game stores will be AoS oriented, and tournaments without points are hard to do.
    So, I welcome an official point system... even if probably I won't use it in my meta. ;)

Bowser likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Although I don't play AoS, I'm curious to see how the new AoS points system will affect the "open play" system. How many AoS players will insist on using the point system once GW makes it official?

I still can't believe that GW caved under the pressure.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I wouldn't say caved under pressure, I think that they have reached that golden spot between pleasing the board and pleasing the customers. Listening to the customers, damage is done for some people, but others who were on the fence but kept pushing through and making it work for competitive play have had their say and have gotten a chance to work with GW on this. They won't please everyone, but at least they're showing that they are trying to meet poeple half way.
    Which gets people talking, which boosts sales.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Bracnos, Freddy25 and Killer Angel like this.
  18. Phoedinn
    Razordon

I'm quite curious to see what kind of system they will come up with. Others have found the just straight up point values don't work with AoS' synergy system. Maybe there will be some kind of "point modifiers" That will increase the cost of certain units if a synergy unit is in play.

Bowser likes this.
  19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Probably a lot.
    Surprisingly, many people prefer to play an unbalanced, official system, rather than a more balanced, unofficial one.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Phoedinn
    Razordon

I'm one of those people :) At my Local GW all our games seem balanced just fine. After the community had some time with it people stopped being silly with the big stuff and started to bring real army's. After that it all worked out just fine. All the people who would bring 50 nagash models "because they could" quickly found people stopped playing against them.

Edit: Just realised I miss read you post XD I see what you mean, but I'm sure people will complain anyway :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Bowser likes this.