8th Ed. Ogres...immune to stomp and thunderstomp?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by pvthudson_01, May 11, 2012.

1. pvthudson_01
    Jungle Swarm

pvthudson_01 New Member

Charged my Stegadon into a unit of Ogres last night, before I GOT TABLED BY THEM

Opponent says that MONSTROUS infantry immune to stomp because in the stomp rules it says:

"on one enemy infantry, war beast or swarm unit" NOT MONSTROUS INFANTRY

How the hell can a War Beast take stomps but not an Ogre

I thought infantry classification encompassed INFANTRY even monstrous infantry

How do Lizardmen players do this?

I lost this game so bad it wasnt even funny

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Not sure, but Ogres are one of our toughest oponents.
    I lost to them fairly consistantly to them even before they got a new book,
    and also in 7th edition. :depressed:

3. pvthudson_01
    Jungle Swarm

pvthudson_01 New Member

So are lizardmen players using stomps on Ogres?

I mean if you charged a Steggy in there did you get ThunderStomps on him?

4. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I think his opponent corrected him to say he can't be thunderstomped.

I know that Kroxigors can't be stomped so would make sense that ogres are immune.

You can stomp the crap out of gnoblars if that makes you feel any better?

5. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

A Thunderstomp follows all the rules for a Stomp, only with d6 hits instead of 1.

Because Ogres are about 3 times the size as wolves?

Not in 8th.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yep, no stomping for the steg against monstrous infantry (or cavalry like Bretts). Take a bunch of skinks and poison him off the table though...

On another note, I would make sense that a model that has the thunderstomp ability would be downgraded to a stomp against monstrous models (unless the model also has thunderstomp). I say this because it works that way for a terror test (i.e. if a fear causing unit is charged by a terror causing unit, the terror downgrades to fear).

7. pvthudson_01
    Jungle Swarm

pvthudson_01 New Member

Ok I was going to say whats the next logical step to combating this army because he owned me hard

Skinks is what I thought of. Basically hit and run the whole game?

8. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Razordons are pretty effective against Ogres as well.

9. The Hunted
    Carnasaur

The Hunted Active Member

Well, razordons are somewhat effective becayse salamander's can't have much fun with the template. That being said, shooting an ogre unit untill 1 of them has 2 wounds, and trying to finish him off with the salamander -> thus forcing a panic check, is FUN.
    Skinks really are your friends vs Ogres. Saurus warriors are pretty much never bad, but they just get eaten by large units of ogres.

I think lore of life might be one of the best lores to take vs ogres. You're gonna need a lot of defensive measure to stand up to the heavy punishment they can dish out. Life is suitable for that.

I've never played ogres in 8th, so i don't know all the ins&outs. But don't getting charged helps, a lot. Thus redirecting and countercharging is good. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm at a loss.

The Hunted

10. Stonecutter
    Terradon

Stonecutter Member

Actually, lizzies should be able to deal reasonably well against the new ogres although you have to be ready for them to be on top of you very quickly. A few key things to remember vs ogres is that they have low armour saves, are only T4 and have relatively low leadership. While I hate to use dwellers at all, it is highly effective against ogres and since their wizards are only S4, it is also a serious threat to them. Sallies are useful against an ogrestar since multiple templates will hit 8 models, doing 2-3 wounds each, so it is possible to strip an entire rank off in one round of shooting with a bit of luck and then the skinks can blast away. Unless they take the +1 LD banner, they will be testing for panic on LD 8 (almost no one fields a Tyrant in games under 2500 since the lord characters are so expensive). That being the case, the lore of death can be very deadly to them with the -3 LD , -1 toughness or a purple sun. The first two spells coupled with sally shooting will cause a panic with a good chance of sending them running. While they are a tough army to face, they also have weakness that can be exploited.

11. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

I worry most about the death fist. If he doesnt know what that is, dont tell him.

12. Devean
    Saurus

Devean Member

My experience (in lower point games of 800-1500) is that the ogres don't have as many units so the skinks can generally run circles around them. I think the main weaknesses in the ogre army that we can easily exploit are their low leadership and vulnerability to poison. Forcing panic checks through massed poison (or a well timed salamander shot) are the best way to go. Hope that helps!

13. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

Have to cause a casualty to force a panic check with Salamanders, so would have to have a unit of three sallies and cause three wounds on the same model.

That is why I was saying Razordons have better chance of causing 1 or 2 casualties and in smaller 4 and 6 man units more is likely to cause a panic test.

What Sallies can do is shoot first cause a wound, take away regen on the unit and then skinks can pepper them with poision shots.

14. tankrothchild
    Skink

tankrothchild New Member

Or shoot with skinks first, cause wounds then sallie kills forcing a panic check.

15. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

6 in 1, half dozen in the other.

Only said Sallie first to get rid of Regen if they had it. Only have to kill 1 Ogre in a unit of 4 to have them test for panic. :)

16. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

razordons are inferior simply because they can not march and shoot. in killing power (against ogres, and only then) they are slightly better, but the fact that you cant march is a terrible gimp. also, a razordon will have to cause at least 2 casualties to cause a panic check (assuming a unit size of over 4) while salamanders Need only one. I wont bother with the mathhammer (since i play only all-commers lists, and against any other team than ogres salamanders are invredibly much better) but i bet that a salamander unit has a bigger chance of causing the 1-3 wounds needed to force a panic check than the razordon unit has of causing the 4-6 wounds they need to cause. But sure, the razordon pack will most likely do an extra wound or two compated to the salamanders (assuming you arent shooting mournfangs that is)

17. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

That is why I said vs. unit of 4 Ogres Razordons are better :)
    Better for smaller target units, no need to try and target a template for max effectiveness and potential for more hits.