8th Ed. Okkam’s Mind Razor Effects

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by SanDiegoSurrealist, May 1, 2012.

1. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Posted this over on Warseer, but want to get opnions here as well.

In reading Okkam’s Mind Razor again it says

“…Models in the target unit use the Leadership Characteristic written on their profile, instead of their Strength, for rolling to wound with close combat attacks.” edited to match FAQ

It does not specifically say that you replace Leadership for Strength just for rolling to wound. So while the augment spell would in fact grant a higher percentage chance of wounding it would not grant the negative to the opponents Amour save for having a higher Strength, in fact if says “do not gain any weapon Str bonuses” as well. Which leads me to belive that it is not meant to offer STR bonus at all.

A Dark Elf Spearmen unit with Mind Razor cast on it would still wound as if S7, but would not enjoy the
    -4 Armour Save that goes along with it, they would still theoretically be hitting at Str 3.

2. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

That seems to be correct, actually. Good catch.
    EDIT: Take that back, I need to look into this a bit more.
    EDIT2: So, I'm inclined to agree with you. As you said, the spell affects To Wound rolls, not save modifiers, and it does not substitute the characteristic values, but the characteristics entirely.
    EDIT3: Wait a minute, you've got the FAQ'd wrong, it is
    Making the spell effect "Models in the target unit use the Leadership Characteristic written on their profile, instead of their Strength, for all close combat attacks…", which means it is a blanket effect covering the entire close combat phase in regards to attacks, which includes armor save modifiers. I think.

3. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

If that's what's in the FAQ, then yup, it'd affect armour saves, too. Gotta love GW's awful, awful wording in the rulebook.

4. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

I have an .pdf of the BRB here at work, but no access to the FAQ so was not sure exact wording. Thanks for clearing that up.