8th Ed. Oldblood Armor Question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Slaantastic, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slaantastic
    Skink

Slaantastic New Member

If I throw an oldblood on a cold one with the armor of destiny (heavy armor) does this mean he has a base 0+ armor save? Yes I know a 1 is always a failure, but would it mean that if he gets hit by something strength 5, he still only has to roll a 2+ to avoid the wound?

Scaly Skin = 4+
    Add Heavy Armor = 2+
    Add Cold One Thick Skinned = 0+

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

With 8th edition, I do not think you can go below a 1+ now. So, in your case, I think it would be a 3+.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Under 7th we could go as low as -2 armor save... :pigeon:

4. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

The armor save limit was modified by errata. Now it reads:
    Some people read this as you can never be lower than 1+, but it looks to me that you could get down to a 0 or a -1 based on equipment or spells. The limitation, as mentioned, is that after any modifiers any save still fails on a 1.

Or maybe I'm just reading it wrong (but I don't think so).

5. Leokill27
    Razordon

Leokill27 New Member

It clearly says never better than 1+, which means you cannot possibly have a save better then 1. So having a -1 save or 0 save, is impossible. As unfortunate as it is its pretty clear :/

6. Bibamus
    Bastiladon

Bibamus New Member

it says that even if you would normally get a -2+ save it stil counts as 1+ before modifiers.

so an OB with Light Armour, Enchanted Shield, Cold one would reach a -1+ save, but for all purposes it counts as a 1+, so a S9 hit still ignores it, a salamander still modifies it to 4+, etc

7. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

...but not really. it says it caps the saving throw at 1+. It says nothing about it being capped before modifiers. It even says that a model can have items that would take its AS below a 1+. To me that indicates that even if your AS is a -1, then you're still rolling against a 1+, but if your AS is a -1 and, for whatever reason, there is +4 to your AS, then you're rolling 3+ instead of 5+.

Though I freely admit that that contradicts the 1st sentence of the paragraph. They need to drop the word, "throw," if they really want it to be clear.

8. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The full name of an AS is "armour saving throw", in 8th once your AS gets better than 2+ it stays at 1+ no matter what kind of armour you fit and no matter how you try to get the rules to say something they don't. There are enough mistakes and RAW not matching RAI without inventing new stuff.

The only value in getting a AS better than 1+ is if is likely to get worse due to your opponent using a spell to destroy or reduce your AS. If you lose a point of armour when you are 1+ you go to 2+ unless you were 0+ restricted to 1+ when you stay at 1+.

9. Benny6Toes
    Saurus

Benny6Toes New Member

I'm not inventing anything, but I'm not going to argue the point. As I said, I recognize that I read it differently than most and play that the lowest Armor Save you can have is a 1+.

10. Cravenus
    Cold One

Cravenus New Member

Does the "max at 1+" wording of the rule only count for positive(thus lowering the numerical value of the save) modifiers, or does it cap after penalties for STR and spells and such? If so, why, when those modifiers are also discussed on the same page of the rulebook?

11. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

The best you can have on your profile is 1+

The dynamic effects of Str etc. work from this AS on the profile.

If you have an item destroyed that contributes to the value on your profile then you have to recalculate the profile value. If the new calculated value is 1+ or better your profile remains 1+.

Profile AS and the AS you roll against are different.

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

I agree with BEEGfrog. The ruling states that you cannot go lower/better than 1+ but you can still use magic items that would improve the AS for their other effects, like Armor of Fortune for the Ward save.

13. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

this thread is very old, and should be considered closed ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.